What's new
What's new

Drawing/measurments of bridgeport shaper clapper

komradebob

Plastic
Esteemed colleagues,

I have acquired a Bridgeport Model E head, aka the shaper or key way head. The good news is it is in good shape, runs, has little wear and is mostly complete. Unfortunately it has been painted a horrible melon green color and the clapper is missing. All of the clapper assembly is there save for the block itself. I'm sure I can re-construct it but there isn't a detailed diagram anyplace that I can find. Would anyone have one they can measure up and send me a sketch? (better would be a spare, but I'll take the drawing ;) )

My concern is that the hole(s) in which the bit is mounted are at an angle to the otherwise fairly square block. If not, it' really easy to make I hope.

Thanks!
Bob

Just in case, here is a picture of the piece from the manual. Part number 101.
IMG_2207.jpg

Oddly enough I had pretty much the same issue when I got my "E". Ugly kinda teal-blue here though. I wasn't able to find any detail prints of the clapper head so I just worked from the available pics, the known size of the end of the ram it mounts on and the known tool bit sizes to make something that looks about the same and works fine. It's a pretty simple device, mostly you want to build it so it doesn't have any slop in the movement.

Straight or angled?

Oddly enough I had pretty much the same issue when I got my "E". Ugly kinda teal-blue here though. I wasn't able to find any detail prints of the clapper head so I just worked from the available pics, the known size of the end of the ram it mounts on and the known tool bit sizes to make something that looks about the same and works fine. It's a pretty simple device, mostly you want to build it so it doesn't have any slop in the movement.

Thanks, that helps some. The block, as I understand it is all rectangular, so when it is 'at rest' in the position it should be in when the ram is pushing down, the axis of the tool bit is parallel with the axis of the ram, correct?

Thanks again,
Bob

Back