Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Drilling holes: Hardinge TM milling machine

I recently bought a Hardinge TM milling machine and am playing with it. I have both the horizontal arbor and the vertical head. I'd like to be able to drill holes when set up with the vertical configuration.

I have a number of MT2 shank drill bits. Does anyone make a 4C collet that can hold a MT2 drill bit?

I have a straight shank Jacobs Super Chuck 11N. This is a very nice chuck but a little limited on the diameter of drills it can grab. I would like to have a 14N or 16N, but then the chucks start to get a little big.

I'd like to have 4C to MT2 adapter, but I can't fine any.

Please let me know if someone sells a 4C to MT2 adapter.

Dave

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hardinge makes 4C plug chucks, a collet shank with a cylindrical end that can be machined to make various adapters and tooling. One could be bored and reamed to a Morse taper, or straight bored to fit a straight shank Morse taper sleeve, as used in turret lathes.

ShopHardinge - 17870000000000

Hardinge makes 5C to 0 through 4 MT adapters, but I don't think they still make 4C Morse taper adapters.

ShopHardinge - 10050880000000

On the whole, a TM with the Hardinge vertical head makes an unsatisfactory drilling machine. That is why some people have adapted Bridgeport M heads to their TM or UM mills. The M head has a quill for drilling.

Larry

3. Likes Stradbash liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the response and the links. I agree, the vertical head on the Hardinge TM is not made to easily drill holes. I have a XY stage on my drill press for drilling a lot of holes, but I was thinking it would be nice to have this capability on the mill if the part does not require a lot of quill work.

I agree, the Bridgeport M head on the Hardinge mill would be nice. I just got the mill operational at my home and would like to get more skilled before investing in a M head. Also, it seems that M heads are getting harder to find - I haven't seen any advertised on eBay nor Craigslist for some time.

I was hoping to find an adapter to go from a 4C to a MT2. I like your idea about using a straight shank Morse Taper sleeve. I wonder if a MT2 could fit into a 3/4" OD sleeve? I have the 3/4" collet. I'll have to go look for one or maybe use and existing MT2-MT? adapter and turn it straight.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But, don't forget to "think 90 degrees", then you can drill and mill a lot of things with the 5C collet spindle and table. That's what they did in the old days before vertical mills. Can't normally hold things by hand that way, but then it's likely a drillpress job anyway. Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could turn the OD of a MT4 to MT2 sleeve to 4C.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a pretty beat up MT2-MT3 adapter on the shelf and decided to try to use this. The adapter was pretty dinged up. I roughly placed the adapter between centers on my lathe and machined it to a little over sized. I cut the end with the larger diameter with a 1/4” thick flange and the small diameter end straight. I then chucked it up in my 4 Jaw chuck and centered the taper on both ends with an indicator. I then cut a chamfer on both ends. I then placed the part between centers again and machined it to dimension (3/4” diameter with a 1 1/4”, 1/4” thick flange). I messed up in that I didn’t sand down the high spots in the MT2 until the last step. I should have done this before I indicated in the insert on my 4 jaw.

I placed the insert in the 3/4” 4-C collet on the vertical head. I then use used the ground MT2 dead center from my lathe to indicate from with my 1/10ths indicator. The dead center measured .0002” TIR. I’m really happy how this turned out. I can use this for my 5C main spindle too.

Dave