What's new
What's new

Bridgeport (Textron) table nut question

emXtooling

Plastic
Hi guys,

Hopefully this is an easy answer. I've recently decided to rebuild the old bridgeport mill at work. First things first the head is definitely a series I. I've already removed the table and gib exposing the nut housing. After pushing the nut out I kinda got stumped looking for the replacement to order online. Following BPT.com' directions to the bridgeport/hardinge parts catalogue I find two options one for older machines and one for newer machines.
Problem: The first drawing the mechanics look VERY similar but the nut is drawn split and sold as "a matched pair" (my nut is onepiece). The other drawing the only thing that looks correct is the nut while the mechanics have other odds and ends that aren't present. Any idea what's possibly going on here?

Also, there is a plaque on the left side of the machine that reads "TEXTRON" with some company labeling indicating it was/worked under a branch of bridgeport decades ago. One more edit: Standard 1.25" 5TPI threads.

I've attached pictures to make this easier.IMG_0008.jpgIMG_0009.jpgNEW.jpgOLD.jpg

When the split single piece nut is too worn to control backlash, the nut is cut at the split to allow more adjustment. The two piece nuts are just a cut in half one piece nut, but you can buy them either way.

John

When the split single piece nut is too worn to control backlash, the nut is cut at the split to allow more adjustment. The two piece nuts are just a cut in half one piece nut, but you can buy them either way.

John

I know about splitting the nut when you run out of adjustment. Also yes, you can buy either one (as indicated by my post) but the problem (as indicated by my post) is that the nut that matches the REST of the drawing doesn't. The drawing that every other part is correct has a split nut shown which isn't what I removed. I'm just wondering why it seems like my machine is different and if I buy the nonsplit nut from the incorrect mechanical drawing if it will fit.. do these nuts both have the same OD?

Purchase the one piece bronze nut and it will fit.
Clean the bracket and remove the Y-axis nut.
Install the X-axis nut into the knuckle bracket. It is keyed to orient the adjustment tab on the outside
of the housing. The hole in the top of the knuckle is there to drill thru the nut. This is done so the Y-axis nut
has an oil supply.
If the Y-axis nut has a separate oil line don't bother with drilling thru.
Do check the X-axis nut and where it lines up for the oil line. Expect to drill thru so it
gets oil.
John

Back