What's new
What's new

duplicating mill conversion

racinjason

Aluminum
im sure this has ben asked but i see the duplicating bp's sell prety cheep,is this the same as a manual machine,can you take off the duplicating stuff and use it normaly? i have never sean one up close. thnaks

jason

Jason,

Converting a tracer to a manual can be done, most of the time, it isn't worth it.

1. Use factor. If the tracer was used much, that table has gone back and forth a bunch of times. I did a project on a Mimic tracer years ago that took 1,500 passes.

2. X-axis. Many of the BPs that were made as tracers did not have a X-axis screw, this feed was hydraulic.

Everything considered, unless you know the machine, find something else.
JR

I have converted two of them as long as they are not hydraulic it is easy one of them that I did had ball screws with dc motors attached to them I was able to remove the strange tracer stuff and use the dc motors as power feed the other had hydraulic motors attached to the stock screws and all we did was pull the motors and the tracer stuff off and replace the screws and some other hardware. We have the spares in stock so it was eay but if you had to buy them it could be expensive.

I'm in the middle of a conversion on a BP 3DA, hydraulic copier. Screws are done, I'm finishing up the nut holders. Used mostly series 1 parts, but had to fab nut holders and had to make the longer than standard x screw. Just for ref I'll have $1150 invested including buying the thing and all the parts. Also about 40-50 hrs clean up, layout, fab and assy. So..... the big question is what's it worth now? Certainly wont' be making much on my time investment. But it'll make someone a decent machine. It does have some nice features like a longer than standard table, box saddle ways, and a built in one shot oiler. I started the project wanting to keep the mill, but then a bargain on a Series II fell in my lap and now my shop is full of machinery and the conversion mill goes up for sale the minute its' done. If you do dive into a similar project I'd be happy to shoot you my parts list and dwg /pics of the parts I machined. Jesse

would like more pics please

I'm in the middle of a conversion on a BP 3DA, hydraulic copier. Screws are done, I'm finishing up the nut holders. Used mostly series 1 parts, but had to fab nut holders and had to make the longer than standard x screw. Just for ref I'll have $1150 invested including buying the thing and all the parts. Also about 40-50 hrs clean up, layout, fab and assy. So..... the big question is what's it worth now? Certainly wont' be making much on my time investment. But it'll make someone a decent machine. It does have some nice features like a longer than standard table, box saddle ways, and a built in one shot oiler. I started the project wanting to keep the mill, but then a bargain on a Series II fell in my lap and now my shop is full of machinery and the conversion mill goes up for sale the minute its' done. If you do dive into a similar project I'd be happy to shoot you my parts list and dwg /pics of the parts I machined. Jesse

HEY THERE,
I am doing the same with a very cheap no wear machine.
I was supprised to see someone else had done it b4 !!
NICE JOB !!
I would extremely appreciate more pics/dwgs especially !!
[email protected]

Back