What's new
What's new

DV 59 spindle compatibility between machines

spooky

Aluminum
Hey All,

I'm still new to the Hardinge lathes, and I've never been inside the headstock of one. If I can find a good condition spindle I'd like to put it on the shelf just in case I ever have need of one. I have no idea how long my machine has been run before it was converted to cnc, after it was converted or if the spindle has ever been replaced.

Anyhow, another member has a DV-59 he is parting out. The headstock however, looks very much different from mine. The collet system is also very different. I am assuming that different collet closer systems were probably used on common spindles, but I'd sure like to know for sure. Also, I'd like to know if common spindles were used in the DV-59's (and other models too) even if the head castings were different.

If different spindles were used in different head castings, is there a way to tell the difference and make sure I get the right one for my machine?

Here is a pic of my machine's headstock and collet system:

headstock1.jpg
headstock2.jpg

Here is a pic of the other machine's headstock and collet system:

IMG_00223.jpg

I realize that my spindle is the threaded model and his the taper mount. I am hoping this isn't a problem. Also the drive on his machine looks to be some sort of sheave drive, while mine uses V belts. When I looked for a spindle online I found this picture:

image032.jpg

Which was listed for many different models, so I was hoping there was some sort of commonality. Thanks for any light you all may be able to shine on this topic!

Chris E.
Evrard Enterprises LLC

Your machine is a 1960 model. His is a 1946 model. They are very different, particularly in the belt drive configuration, as evidenced by the shape of the headstocks. In general, DV59 spindles do not need to be replaced unless there is abuse or some kind of wreck. It is the ball bearings that may fail from extensive use. The spindle is a separate part from the bearings, not a cartridge type assembly like your last picture. Do not try to take the spindle out of your lathe unless you are scrapping it or having an expert replace the bearings.

The 1946 DV59 spindle is part number 282. Both the 1960 DV59 and the HSL 59 spindles are part number VD-282. Beyond that VD, I do not know if they are physically different. You also have to specify whether you want a 4 degree taper nose or the threaded version, since the parts lists only show one part number.

Larry

Larry,

That was incredibly helpful. Given that information, I guess if I ever need to replace the bearings I'll likely find a whole machine instead!

I don't know if I'll ever get my head around the fact that the grease in these things can last 4 and 5 decades. Amazing....

Thanks again and cheers!

Your machine is a 1960 model. His is a 1946 model. They are very different, particularly in the belt drive configuration, as evidenced by the shape of the headstocks. In general, DV59 spindles do not need to be replaced unless there is abuse or some kind of wreck. It is the ball bearings that may fail from extensive use. The spindle is a separate part from the bearings, not a cartridge type assembly like your last picture. Do not try to take the spindle out of your lathe unless you are scrapping it or having an expert replace the bearings.

The 1946 DV59 spindle is part number 282. Both the 1960 DV59 and the HSL 59 spindles are part number VD-282. Beyond that VD, I do not know if they are physically different. You also have to specify whether you want a 4 degree taper nose or the threaded version, since the parts lists only show one part number.

Larry

Back