What's new
What's new

Esm-59

jkycia

Plastic
Hello I just joined the forum. I recently bought what I think is a Hardinge ESM-59.
I would like to replace the spindle bearings.
Can someone give me any advice or information on how to do this?
Thanks

I replaced the spindle bearings in my late 1944 ESM-59 around 1983. The bearings were very expensive and did not come with grease. The bearing store sold me a can of the correct grease.

I had to make a special tool to remove the nut on the spindle. It is a big steel tube with two steel dowel pins that engage the holes in the nut. I used a hook pin spanner to apply torque. Photos below. The spindle lock pin works to hold the spindle while removing the nut. The headstock needs to be attached to the bed while removing the nut.

While I had the spindle out, I also cleaned and painted the whole machine. Mine came with a lever cross slide and turret, but also had a tailstock and slide rest and has the thread chasing equipment. The condition was quite nice for a WWII veteran, and the turret was the 1960 model, so a later replacement. It was on the optional wood-top bench, but I bought another ESM-59 with the steel base and swapped bases to save space in my shop. Sold the extra lathe and bench.

Putting the grease in the bearings, I was told to fill the ball area about one third, using very clean hands/gloves. All the spindle parts and the headstock have to be very clean when putting them back together. The angular contact bearings are not symmetrical, so you have to pay attention to how you assemble them. I have forgotten the details, though.

Larry

DSC01954 (2).jpg DSC01955 (3).jpg

Thanks for the detailed info.
Do you recall what bearing you used? To figure out the right bearing, did you just measure the dimensions once you removed it? I now see there is a grade of bearing. ABEC #. The higher ABEC numbers get expensive. What grade of bearing did you use? What runout did you have before and after? Runout is not everything I think. With a good bearing there should be less play or slop.

Back