What's new
What's new

Extra Security Moving Rotary Table or Vise to Bridgeport Mill

mrplasma

Aluminum
The thought of having a heavy Accessory get away from you when transferring it to your mill is frightening to most of us. If you use a lift table to handle the chore, this idea may appeal to you.

I Installed two 3/8" diameter lag bolts with flat washers into the side of my lift table as shown. When the surfaces of the lift table and mill table are even, the lag bolt heads align with the .400" wide slot across the front of the Bridgeport table, and slide in place. This prevents the possibility of the lift table accidentally moving away from the mill during the transfer. They don't have to be tight -- they still hold the lift table securely in place.

IMG_9336.jpg IMG_9342.jpg IMG_9337.jpg IMG_9338.jpg IMG_9339.jpg

I built a hoist that will traverse the shop, I'm planning to build more of them for other spaces while I still have the power to do so.

Unfortunately, aging is a one way street.

Meh. Despite the high cost of living, it still seems the preferred alternative! :)

Like the idea!

We had both hydraulic tables, which were lifesavers, and a SkyHook lift, mounted on a cart full of junk to act as a counterweight, and between the two, my back was saved a LOT of misery!

Last time I used a rotab I armstronged it from the rack to the cart then from the cart to the Bridgeport...not being smart enough to use the carts with the lifting tables and lowering the knee. That was 3 years ago, no one has used it since.

Good idea there you have for loading.

I made a lever jack so a 2' lever swing would give a 1 1/2" drop. just a short-chain a lever and a hook catch. I used the to lower a big mill cutter onto the Arter or Heald (rotary grinder)magnetic chuck (because the lift hoist was too fast a drop.

I have a small portable engine crane with a steel cable adapter normally used to lift an engine. I bolt it to the rotary table slots with a couple of T nuts ( know from experience where the balance point is.). Pick it up from the storage box, position over the mill table, and lower it into place. Pretty straightforward. My Yuasa 12” rotary table is more than I can pick up myself anymore. No sliding, minimal risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back