What's new
What's new

EZ TRAK System Parameters

ISEN AG

Aluminum
Recently tore down my EZ Trak to redo the entire lube system as well and perform a much needed cleanup. Went as far as even disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling the ball screws (didn't lose any balls). I finally got to the point where I needed to set the system parameters. The numbers in the system were not the ones that were written down on the paperwork that came with the machine and were definitely wrong when I put an indicator on the machine. The new numbers also didn't match the numbers written on the paperwork.

I was able to set the backlash parameters to align with my dial indicator but what I am unsure about is the Lead Error and how I can measure for this and ensure that my machine is cutting as accurately as possible. I have seen information on step gauges and laser gauges but as a hobbyist I am looking for advise and recommendations on this one. What is my best approach here?

Unfortunately I can't help you directly with that, but you seem to have a running EZ Trak. Is yours the hard drive version or the floppy drive version? I ask as mine is the floppy drive version, albeit with no floppy disc and I haven't been successful finding the software. If yours is the floppy and gets mine running I'd be happy to spend some timing figuring out the other parameters.

Unfortunately I can't help you directly with that, but you seem to have a running EZ Trak. Is yours the hard drive version or the floppy drive version? I ask as mine is the floppy drive version, albeit with no floppy disc and I haven't been successful finding the software. If yours is the floppy and gets mine running I'd be happy to spend some timing figuring out the other parameters.

Mine is the upgraded EMI DOM so I do not have a floppy disc with the operating system. Try EMI or BPT Parts. Both will have what you need.

Still looking for a solution guys any help appreciated.

@ISEN AG Those parameters probably are the standard param.sys files that come on the DOM's and the floppies that are out. They are just the generic parameter files. I have not seen anyone do segmented error comp on an EZ Trak before. When I adjust/tune an EZ Trak, I use an indicator in the quill touching off on the vise to get backlash set. Then I have an 18 inch standard to get the X axis adjusted properly for accurate movement, and then use a 123 block on the Y axis for movement.

When you say "dial indicator" do you mean the dials on the indicator? Or just an indicator?

@jccaclimber any Trak SX can be upgraded to a DX style with a hard drive. EMI can even get you all the components to fully convert it to a DX. You can get the floppies from EMI (I also sell for EMI) for $149 (ask them for part number 001331).

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Lemme clarify why I use two different standards. I dont have a larger calibrated standard than a 123 block that will fit on the Y axis. The larger standard you have to use is better. If all you have is a 123 block, that is better than just a 30 thou indicator.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

@ISEN AG Those parameters probably are the standard param.sys files that come on the DOM's and the floppies that are out. They are just the generic parameter files. I have not seen anyone do segmented error comp on an EZ Trak before. When I adjust/tune an EZ Trak, I use an indicator in the quill touching off on the vise to get backlash set. Then I have an 18 inch standard to get the X axis adjusted properly for accurate movement, and then use a 123 block on the Y axis for movement.

When you say "dial indicator" do you mean the dials on the indicator? Or just an indicator?

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Jon,

I meant a indicator. I have a 0 to 1" indicator in .0005 increments. I mounted the indicator on a small magnetic indicator holder i have and used the dovetails align the indicator as best I could. First i confirmed that the machine and the indicator matched measurements over 1" to confirm the servo motors had good encoders. Then I began to test for the backlash in multiple areas along the x&y axis. once I confirmed the machines backlash measurements I plugged in the new backlash values into the machines parameters and retested again to confirm the backlash parameters were adequate.

I have seen online where people have used a laser and ladder gauge to measure the X & Y lead error. Being a hobbyist a laser to measure this doesn't seem feasible and have not been able to find a ladder gauge anywhere. Is the standard you referenced the same thing? But again that also seems pretty expensive but would definitely look into one if you could point me in the direction of where I can buy one. I am curious on how exactly you do this with a 123 block if you would elaborate on that.

The research I've read/watched on the subject seems that the lead error is per linear foot and my current idea was to mount two indicators on opposite sides exactly a foot of travel apart (according to indicator travel) and go back & forth between them and compare the the distance traveled to what the machine says I traveled and adjust. Again this might either be a quick and dirty way of getting these values or absolutely wrong. I'm either not looking in the right places or there is not a lot of information on the subject.

Again appreciate the help. Your advise and expertise on this site is why all of my replacement parts I've needed came from HW.

I only asked about the indicator because I have come across people who gauge the accuracy of their DRO off of the handle indicators.

Using a 123 block, you touch off on the block, zero your indicator and the controller. Then raise the quill and move the 3 inches to the other side of the block. Then using a joe block or another 123 block pressed up against the one you are using to measure, you zero there. That is, assuming that your 123 block is good obviously. Then you look at what the controller said you moved. Pretty much what you described in your last paragraph is the same thing, just with a 123 block.

Being that its a Bridgeport (or a knee mill for that matter) using a laser would be overkill. I would love to have one for the shop, but those setups are pretty expensive.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Jon,

Have an additional questions regarding linear error.

I was able to take two indicators to my EZ Trak and used one indicator to set a zero and the other to move one inch at a time. I moved 12 inches by the indicator and the dro on the EZ TRAK stated I moved 12.005 inches. I confirmed that by returning to zero and then going to 12 inches where I was .005 less on the dial. I went into the parameters and put .005 in the linear error parameter but when I went to retest it barely made a difference. I played around with values and it turned out that putting 0.0115 into the lead error allowed me to hit zero on the indicators consistently.

My question is if I’m losing .005 inches per foot why would I need a linear error value of 0.0115 instead of the actual value or .005 to consistently hit 0 & 12 inches right on the money?

Again really do appreciate the help in understanding how this setup really works in better detail.

Typically in most CNC and DRO linear error comp programs, you are adjusting your error comp by parts per million. While I do not know the equation for the EZ Trak system, I will use the Acu-Rite equation to explain what that is.

In this equation, S will mean length of your standard, MV will be your actual measure value.

(S - MV)/MV = Answer. Typically this answer will be something like .0000026 or some craziness like that, then you move the decimal point 6 places.

So, your numbers (on an Acu-Rite) would look like (12-12.005)/12.005 = .0004164931 which would come out to 416 PPM. Again, I dont know the Trak equation.

When I am doing this on a Trak, it is just a guessing game until I get closer and closer.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Back