What's new
What's new

Eztrak axis fault

amegger

Plastic
I have a 1995 eztrak dx 2-axis that is regularly having both axis drives fault. The axis movement stops during a cycle but doesn’t have any alarms on the screen. Checking in the panel both drives are faulted and the green light on the bmdc is off, the top red light on the bmdc is glowing dimly with the lower red light off. After the fault the axis positions don’t update when manually moving the axis. After a reset the machine will home out and function normally but will fault again within 5 minutes.
Anyone have an idea what is going on here? Is the software locking up? Bmdc issue or a bad drive?

What is your 5 and 12 VDC signal coming off of your power supply? Please respond out to 2 decimal points, as those voltages are important.

Your BMDC should have a blinking light near the edge opposite of the connector, is it flashing on for a second off for 3 or on/off every other second?

If it it happening on both axis, my guess is that something else is causing the issue. Are you running on single phase or 3 phase? Is this a new to you machine or have you had it for a while that this just started happening?

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

What is your 5 and 12 VDC signal coming off of your power supply? Please respond out to 2 decimal points, as those voltages are important.

Your BMDC should have a blinking light near the edge opposite of the connector, is it flashing on for a second off for 3 or on/off every other second?

If it it happening on both axis, my guess is that something else is causing the issue. Are you running on single phase or 3 phase? Is this a new to you machine or have you had it for a while that this just started happening?

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Jon,

I’m getting 5.12v and 12.78v out of the psu and the bmdc light is blinking every 3 seconds. I have 99vdc measured at the drives. I have L1 and L2 connected to 240v single phase and changed the transformer taps to get 120v for the pc. The spindle motor is currently unwired. The machine is new to me, so far I have replaced the power supply as the original was dead and changed the cmos battery. The machine came out of a college lab and looks new, based on program dates it looks like it last ran in 2008.
I appreciate any advice.

Jon,

I’m getting 5.12v and 12.78v out of the psu and the bmdc light is blinking every 3 seconds. I have 99vdc measured at the drives. I have L1 and L2 connected to 240v single phase and changed the transformer taps to get 120v for the pc. The spindle motor is currently unwired. The machine is new to me, so far I have replaced the power supply as the original was dead and changed the cmos battery. The machine came out of a college lab and looks new, based on program dates it looks like it last ran in 2008.
I appreciate any advice.

Your 12VDC signal is WAY outta whack. When you bought the CPS, where did you buy it from? EMI? Drisson? Sounds to me like you are still gonna be needing a power supply. What is your transformer tapped for?

The BMDC is not properly communicating with the computer, thats what the once every 3 seconds is telling us. Whether that is a computer or BMDC issue will be tough to determine.

When you say you changed the CMOS battery, was it a 24 pin chip or a watch battery?

Sounds to me like we definitely have a power issue, which could have killed the BMDC.

Jon

The power supply is an Athena AT power supply, I’ll be returning it and ordering one from Drisson. I don’t recall the transformer tap #’s it’s on but I set it for 230v and I’m getting 119.5vac at the CPS and 99vdc at the drives which I believe is correct for both.
I replaced the CMOS battery with the same style that was on the board, 3.6v Nimh, 3 cells in a stack heat shrinked. I connected it off the board with leads for easier replacement.
I’m hopeful the BMDC is ok, I haven’t powered it up since I did the 5v / 12v measurements (and won’t until I get a new CPS) but at that time I set a program to repeat some rapid moves and it ran for approximately 30 minutes without fault.

Hm, so some sort of aftermarket motherboard. I wonder if there is anything in the BIOS settings that might be messed up.

If the 12VDC line in the BMDC is jacked up, its gonna be jacked up until it gets repaired/replaced. Sounds like it could possible be the only issue, we shall see.

Jon

Back