What's new
What's new

EZTrak power on issue

Greg L.

Plastic
Hi. We have an old EZTak DX 2 axis knee mill. An interesting problem has shown up lately. When I power up the machine, both x&y axis start heading home at once. It will do this until the PC boots. Many times, the PC won't start booting, so I power off the machine and try again. As soon as the PC boots, the axis movement stops.

I have no idea as to where to begin with this. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I would start with checking the 5/12VDC power supply. Look at the 4 wires going to the hard drive. Black to red is 5VDC and black to yellow is 12VDC. What are you getting? Those controllers are sensitive to the power, so specifically what do you get for each voltage?

It almost sounds as if your ice cube relay is out and not allowing the inhibit circuit to enable. The inhibit circuit is powered by the 12VDC input.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Ya that looks like the ice cube relay. That relay should sit right above the axis drive cards. Typically you can remove that during an axis drive fault to see which axis is the one that is bad.

You power supply voltage looks good. Next time it wont boot up, can you check the voltage again?

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

When I turned it on this morning, I was only able to check the yellow and it was a bit over 2 volts. But, I checked and there wasn't any voltage coming out of the relay until it finally kicked in. Then the PC power supply was back to usual voltage. I have a relay on order. Hope it fixes it.

Was finally able to get a new relay. It didn't help. So, I checked the psu voltages while it was sitting while not powering up like it does. The red was .9 volts and the yellow was 2.4. Like I said, it's like that until the machine decides to get going, then the psu voltages are fine. Not sure what the voltages should be coming out of the relay though. Not sure what else it could be. I was thinking maybe the relay base, but if there's a short, why would it work continuously all day? I can power it off after it is running fine, wait a few minutes and it will power on fine. It seems to only act up if sitting overnight.

The black to red voltage should be 5VDC and the black to yellow should be 12VDC. If you are getting .9 and 2.4, then your computer power supply is clearly bad as long as you are getting a good incoming 110/120VAC.

I guess I didn't make it clear that the voltages of the PSU are at the low side for a couple of minutes and then it all decides to power on and then the voltages are normal. The voltages coming out of the relay are low for the same time also, then they go to normal when it all decides to work. Quite puzzling to me.

I guess I didn't make it clear that the voltages of the PSU are at the low side for a couple of minutes and then it all decides to power on and then the voltages are normal. The voltages coming out of the relay are low for the same time also, then they go to normal when it all decides to work. Quite puzzling to me.

I've been working on the same model mill with the same symptom set as yours. Were you able to fix the issue(s)? Thank you!

the reason the power supply shows low voltages at first is because it hasn't received the 'on' signal yet from the motherboard, the green wire in the 24 wire harness needs to be connected to ground (any black wire) if it's not plugged into the motherboard in order for it to read 12 and 5 volts. I know this is an old thread, just wanted to add that incase it helps anyone

Back