What's new
What's new

Feed Trip Bracket

pfridl

Plastic
I need to remove the feed reverse and feed trip bracket assembly from my J-head. The bracket is broken and needs to be removed for repair. I have loosened the bolts but it does not seem to want to come off easily as an assembly so I'm guessing there's a bit more to it. Can anyone describe the process of removal to help me out?
Thanks, Paul.

I have removed the set screw and the screw and spring on the other side. The ball is stuck in the hole. I tried to loosen with wd40 and remove with a magnet but it doesn't come out. Any suggestion on removing the ball?

I had the same problem just a couple of weeks ago. I used a dremmel tool with a carbide burr and tried to slow grind the ball smaller. It was a bit tedious, but I managed to remove the ball. I would grind the ball a little and then rotate the clutch and tap it lightly with a brass hammer until the ball fell out. Once you get that off, the clutch should come off and then the rest of the bracket. Good luck.

Here are the instructions on how to remove the parts you are talking about........

ReverseTripballLever001.jpg

The reverse ball usually breaks in the narrow neck part. Mine was broken when I first got my mill and that ball part would not come out either.

The trip ball catches in that barrel shown coming up out of the top of ther casting in the illustration. As I recall, I drilled a short hole into the end of the ball and then ran a small tap into the hole. It caught quickly and the tap gave me the leverage needed to pull out the broken trip ball............ pg

Thanks for the response. I did the dremel trick and it worked though it was a PITA. Anyway I got the result I was looking for. I hope to have the bracket repaired tomorrow and then get a fresh paint finish on the mill this weekend.
Paul

I had the same issue on my Webb Mill (BP CLone). I wanted to remove the cover to polish it up. After removing the setscrew that holds the spring and ball, I turned the collar so that the ball was facing downward and tapped the collar four or five times with a dead fall hammer and the ball fell out in my hand. I guess I was lucky.

I had the same issue on my Webb Mill (BP CLone). I wanted to remove the cover to polish it up. After removing the setscrew that holds the spring and ball, I turned the collar so that the ball was facing downward and tapped the collar four or five times with a dead fall hammer and the ball fell out in my hand. I guess I was lucky.

You also can put a small rubber hose over stem and apply little puffs of air until the ball comes out that way you dont have to destroy the durn thing in the process.

Back