What's new
What's new

Found Bridgeport Mill: Buying Help?

Engmaxx

Aluminum
Hi All,

I finally found what I think is a good condition Type JV vertical mill but I don't know a lot about them so I am hoping you could help me determine if this is a good deal and what to look out for. Price is $1000 CAD.

Here is what I know: ways look really good, less than 1/4 turn play of X and Y axes handles, working DRO, minimal tooling, 1 HP, not heavily used, sounds good and smooth running, quill works and comes with what you see in pictures.

I don't have 3 phase power so I need to get that, recommendation(s)? I am not in a rush to get it up and running.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

IMG_2049.jpgIMG_2050.jpgIMG_2051.jpgIMG_2052.jpgIMG_2053.jpg

From the way you describe it is sounds like a great deal, any other tooling with it?

There really isn't much more than a few old end mills. This was not a machine shop so it was used for specific minimal tasks that didn't involve much tooling.

Also, how much would it weigh? 2000 lb? Trying to figure out moving it from dock level transport to ground level.

No way, Don't buy that machine.

Send me the sellers name, phone number and address.
And I will take my truck and trailer there to give a good piece of my mind.

looks like a good deal if everything works as it should.

Brace it so it will not tip forward if you need slam the breaks.

Don't air gun or WD spray can clean it, but just pick clean and rag wipe it down with a mix of mineral spirits and oil if you wish to clean it, don't wire brush hand wheel dial numbers.

No way, Don't buy that machine.

Send me the sellers name, phone number and address.
And I will take my truck and trailer there to give a good piece of my mind.

looks like a good deal if everything works as it should.

Brace it so it will not tip forward if you need slam the breaks.

Don't air gun or WD spray can clean it, but just pick clean and rag wipe it down with a mix of mineral spirits and oil if you wish to clean it, don't wire brush hand wheel dial numbers.

LOL. I take it it's a good deal. I will be careful cleaning it as you suggest. Right now I am concerned with moving it as I'm not sure how much it weighs.

Yes RPC = Rotary Phase Converter and I would also say 1900-2000 lbs on the weight.
You should lower the table all the way down and you can also rotate the head upside down to lower the center of gravity, this also will make it fit under low openings. Many threads here about moving bridgeports, lots of good reading.
Dont be the guy that says I tipped it over, now what do I do to fix it?

If you look up the price on a new vise swivel base it's about $350. The price for the package deal is low enough for anybody.

Yes RPC = Rotary Phase Converter and I would also say 1900-2000 lbs on the weight.
You should lower the table all the way down and you can also rotate the head upside down to lower the center of gravity, this also will make it fit under low openings. Many threads here about moving bridgeports, lots of good reading.
Dont be the guy that says I tipped it over, now what do I do to fix it?

Thank you. Yes, I need to figure out how the head turns. I will not tip it! :bowdown:

Excellent find
As posted above, there are lots of videos out there on moving a knee mill, they are very easy to tip over , you may want to rotate the head upside down.
H+W machinery has a great website with easy to find part numbers for any parts that you may need. Most parts are not expensive ( although you got the mill so cheap you may think they are :) ) They also have some good people there that can answer questions

Edit- I see Rob beat me to the head rotation:)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

B port vice will work for now. You want a Kurt. DRO is prehistoric, but if it works you are good to go. Servo X axis feed is better than a BP feed. about a grand new now days. Hard to go wrong on that one.

Back