What's new
What's new

Help with a Air Collet Closer on Hardinge

Metal Mutant

Aluminum
I have a DSMA with an air collet closer. We just purchased the machine and this air closer is not covered in the manuals, it gives instructions for a different style. I have attached a pic of closer I found on the internet that is on a 1st generation CHNC. I need instructions on how to change collets.

Thanks!

41017g.jpg

I don't have an air closer or a DSMA, but I will suggest this in the absence of other replies:
1. Release the tension on the collet.
2. Lock the spindle. If there is no lock or spindle brake, then set the spindle speed to the lowest one to create some resistance to spindle rotation.
3. Find the collet tension adjustment and release it so the drawbar can rotate inside the spindle.
4. Rotate the drawbar so it unscrews from the collet. You may need a tool like an internal pipe wrench that grips the ID of the tube.

It is a 5C collet, isn't it? If it is a B&S type collet, there would be a nose piece to remove in order to change collets.

Larry

Larry,
Thanks for responding. We just figured it out. It is a Vari-Grip closer. Found instructions for collet removal and it's a piece of cake.

Thanks,
MM

Hey Metal Mutant! Hopefully you are still a member.....could you send me those instructions? I will gladly pay you if you need something.
[email protected]
Thank you Brother.

Back