Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_2066.jpgimg_2067.jpgmoving-.jpg

Some pictures of my progress. This is where I'm at so far. Thank you all for the amazing support and suggestions. The ram has a 1/2-13 through thread on the top that I will be purchasing an eye-bolt for tonight. I also picked up a near-new used 2 ton engine lift that has the capacity, height and leg span to pick the mill up. I will sweep the floor thoroughly before I try to roll the lifted mill; good thing it is smooth concrete though I can't say the same for my garage! I am following both your suggestions and a picture (attached) from one of the manuals I found. When I rotated the head to a few degrees above 180, oil slowly came out of the lower fill cup so I raised it a little more to what you see in the pictures until the oil no longer drained out. I could possibly rotate the head upside down if you really think I should but I figured I would try this first per the picture in the manual. I guess I will have a better idea of the balance when I start to lift it with the engine lift.

Thanks again all, I will keep you posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Killer deal on a decent Bridgeport. That is quite a bit of backlash in the screws though, are the nuts split and adjustable?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's a terrific deal. Take it or we'll come up there and get it away from you. Oh and save up another $1000 Canadian fro some tooling. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if you are lucky that starter box may have a VFD in it. check that before buying something.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The next step towards the final move. We have success! The hoist worked great: plenty of clearance, height and maneuverability. No problem to lift and roll around especially on the smooth floor. The hoist made the mill feel like nothing.

file1-6.jpgfile-22.jpgfile4-2.jpgfile3-2.jpg

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now that I know I can lift it high enough I may put it on a skid and get forklifts to move it around and off the dock. We will see. I hope to get it moved tomorrow.

Notice how I had to adjust the table height (high) and ram (forward) to achieve a good balance. When I first tried to lift it, the bottom was kicking out very far resulting in the front of the base sitting on the floor while the back was at six inches up! When I get it on the trailer/truck, I will drop the table to the bottom resting on a wood as suggested earlier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails file2-4.jpg   file5-2.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't read the whole thread, but it is a modern one as it had oil lube and from the photo's it looks like it has chrome plated ways. Usually when the top of the knee shines and the edges are beveled that means it's chromed. That is a good thing and a bad thing as when chrome wears out it's a pain to repair. If someone gave me one to rebuild I would send it to a chrome plating shop and have it stripped. Stripping also strips off the paint too. If you have it stripped I would not re-plate it unless you can find a company that has years of experience plating Bridgeport's. All the parts needed can be bought by a forum member H&W Machinery. 1000.00 for that machine is a Bargain... :-)

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by surplusjohn View Post
    if you are lucky that starter box may have a VFD in it. check that before buying something.
    I wish it did. There is a contactor and overload relay in it. There are three phases coming in. I might have a VFD that I forgot about but I need to confirm its compatibility first.
    img_2065.jpg

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Done! Last Friday, in the middle of a heat wave and just missed a huge rainstorm, we moved it. I commissioned a local towing company. It cost me just north of $600 CAD and that was half the price of the next cheapest rigger, ya, I did my research. I could not have asked for a smoother and more effortless move. Everything that I thought was going to happen didn't. I was able to get a pump truck under the base and rolled it on the flat bed truck from the dock directly; by far the easiest way to move it. I built a simple 'skid' of 2x4's under it once it was on the truck and lag bolted (3/8 x 8") the base to the skid. Operator strapped it all to the truck. I stretched wrapped it to minimize dirt/grit and off we drove to my place. At my place, they brought in a truck with rear crane/boom, lifted the mill using the same eye bolt I installed and the flat bed drove out from under it. They backed it up to the front of my garage where I later lifted it with my hoist, disassembled the skid and used the pump truck again to roll it in my garage. Great experience. I must have sweated a few liters during the whole process!

I will also note that I lowered the knee during travel (rested on a wood block) and locked all the axes. The table was offset to counter the weight of the tilted head so the mill lifted almost level.

Thank you all again for your sage advice.

In the end, he threw in a Rockwell/Delta metal and woodcutting bandsaw and a good stack of metal (mainly steel) bars, rods, plates, flat stock, etc. This was definitely a score that I couldn't turn down. My wife is still adjusting...

file2-7.jpgfile1-9.jpgfile-25.jpgfile2-6.jpgfile1-8.jpg

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Parked in my garage. Quick shot of the bandsaw too.

file3-5.jpg img_2059.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks good

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    Looks good
    Thanks Rob. I'm so glad this part is behind me!