What's new
What's new

Frakenport

CaptainNoAction

Plastic
Machinists. I recently acquired a Bridgeport S1 2HP. The quill is controlled by air and the individual I got this from told me he was trying to convert to electrical but never finished. When I tried to look up the head I cannot find anything like mine. Is my Bridgeport built with clone parts? None of the manuals I downloaded show a shelf for a motor on the left side. I appreciate any insight, thanks.

Attachments

• 1FC17D11-6FBA-4D10-95C3-7D5BC39CC4B9.jpg
    1FC17D11-6FBA-4D10-95C3-7D5BC39CC4B9.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 177
My Bridgeport started life as a factory CNC mill, but has now been converted at least twice to aftermarket (Centroid) controls. It looks exactly like you picture, with the quill servo on the left. It looks like your servo is also a DC electric? The air is for the spindle brake, located between the servo and the head. The pneumatic cylinder on the right is for control of the variable spindle speed, using the variable belt system internal to the head.

On mine, the quill servo is encoder controlled by an AllInOneDC from Centroid. The pneumatic brake engages once the spindle stops, using a 2 way solenoid valve, so tool changes are easy. I have a button on the control panel that automatically spins the variable speed head faster or slower, using a 3 way solenoid valve.

I love my machine with that head! If I don't like the tool speed during a job, I can bump a button and spool it up or down. The auto-brake is also the next best thing to a tool changer, for us hobby machinists.

Back