Good evening, Newbie here with a new to me HLV-H

Hephaestus29

Plastic
I heard there were quite a few Hardinge
Lathe owners here so I thought I would
give this place a try.

I’m 51 years old, an apprentice in
Machine Repair, and I have going on 20
years experience running a lathe and mill.

I started with a Smithy that I’ll try
and sell before long, I also have a
Comet Mill, with a Bridgeport Head, a
Vertical 16” DoAll and a
Horizontal Johnson cut-off bandsaws and
other misc. shop tools.

I hope to start going through the Hardinge
after my last courses are over in the
late spring.

I’m not sure why the pic uploaded sideways,
maybe someone can fix it for me thanks.

Attachments

• 6BC94029-CD5C-4DD5-A613-DE1AF56E4A5A.jpg
    6BC94029-CD5C-4DD5-A613-DE1AF56E4A5A.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 142
Saw that thing sideways and thought the stinking riggers dropped another one. Glad that did not happen, it just ruins your day. Hope it cleans up and runs nice. If it does you will be a happy camper.

Get a manual soon there are a few differences that you will need to learn so you so not break something expensive.

It's because cellphones don't actually rotate the picture to the way you're looking at it, they just rotate the display of the picture (not a good technical explanation!), then we websites send out the picture in the way that it was actually saved.

If you are on Windows, load the picture up into Paint (which is too primitive to bother with the clever Exif display stuff), then rotate it to the way you want and save as a new file. Then upload the result.

You'll probably find that you don't use the Smithy ever again, once you've got the Hardinge working to your satisfaction. But keep it until you know you won't have to re-manufacture any parts for the Hardinge that you can't do on the Hardinge itself for whatever reason.

Thanks for the replys.
I had office depot print off a manual
and a parts list tuesday.
It will be near the end of May before
I really start digging in to it.

Are most of the Hardinge Electrical
control boxes the same size?

I have two on mine, one small one on
the left side where I think the big
one should be, and the big one seems
to be way oversized compared to most
I’ve seen. It makes no sense to me why
someone would put such a big box on it
only to have to put it on the back
because it’s too large for the side.
There’s plenty of room in the big one,
and I haven’t been into the small one
yet.
I’m guessing the original might have
been destroyed or something who knows,
and they got this one for cheap and
decided it would be good for keeping
the chips from flying across the room
too.

The large box contains the control relays and transformer. An HLVH is an excellent machine and if in reasonable shape is better than most new machines of the same size. Once you have a manual determine what tooling is needed including change gears if you intend to do both metric and Imperial threads. FWIW these machines are excellent for cutting threads once you learn the technique. I thoroughly enjoy mine particularly when challenging close dimension jobs arise.

The large electrical box mounted on the back side was needed to house the larger GE contactors vs the std Cutler.
This was a factory build for their GE customer since GE wanted their own brand relays used in the lathes they ordered. They must have ordered many through the years since Hardinge accommodated them.
The small box on left side is needed to house the drum switch activated by the spindle Hi-Low lever rod.
You don't see too many of these.
Enjoy your rare HLV lathe!

The large box contains the control relays and transformer. An HLVH is an excellent machine and if in reasonable shape is better than most new machines of the same size. Once you have a manual determine what tooling is needed including change gears if you intend to do both metric and Imperial threads. FWIW these machines are excellent for cutting threads once you learn the technique. I thoroughly enjoy mine particularly when challenging close dimension jobs arise.

Thanks, and I already have the techniques.
I bought my Smithy in 2000 and I ran an
HLV-H and a Monarch in the Tool Room at work.

I’m not saying I know everything, but
I’m proficient in the use of a Hardinge.
It’s an absolute joy to run compared to
my Smithy.
It’s like going from a Model A, to a Rolls Royce.

Back