What's new
What's new

Good price for a Bridgeport GX710?

taiwanluthiers

Cast Iron
My neighbor has 2 CNC machines. One a Taiwanese brand (basically the same company who made that bridgeport clone I wanted to buy but instead bought a heavier machine), and another a Bridgeport GX710.

He said he wants to sell the machine because it's too small to meet his needs (he wants to spring for a 5 axis at some point it seems) so he wants to offer the machine to me for 20,000 dollars.

I told him that I would like to learn the machine, and if I can (perhaps with his assistance) figure out how to find work to justify this machine, I'd certainly do whatever it takes (bank loans or whatever) to buy the machine. It would be a tight squeeze in my shop but it opens a lot of doors. I said until then I'd use the machine on a rental basis (meaning I use the machine whenever he's not using it, and pay him for the maintenance of the machine plus a little more)

Question is, is 20,000 dollars a good price for a Bridgeport GX710? And I guess more importantly, how do I find work involving CNC machines?

He uses it to make motorcycle parts and makes quite a bit of money doing it (he has his own brands)

Back