What's new
What's new

Hardinge bar feeder info?

Rex TX

Titanium
Hey guys, I am helping a friend's widow liquidate his estate. One of the last things is what I believe to be a Hardinge bar feeder, or most of one. I have two tripod stands and a tube about 8-ft long.

Does this still have any utility in a small shop?
What else is required for this to be usable?
Does this just need to go to scrap?

Thanks for any guidance.

IMG_0549.jpgIMG_0550.jpgIMG_0551.jpgIMG_0553.jpg

You could probably get 100 or 200 $ on eBay for it fairly quickly. When I need one, which is when I am making more than about 10 of the same part on my DSM-50, I improvise from a couple of tall pipe stands, a length of sufficiently heavy tubing and some wire ties. Would not mind having a "real" one, but shipping costs would kill a deal.

AS for "what else is required", there should be something to drive the bar stock down through the tube. Could be a pulley/wire-rope/weight deal, could be a pneumatic black box and a cap to go over the end of the tube. Most small Hardinges weren't set up with bar pullers, so there would be something pushing the bar toward the tailstock.

Now that I think on it, there might be occasion when I would use it. All my stock is 6ft or more. When I need Short pieces I cut 6 inches off on the band saw. More than half goes to drops/ scrap.
I’ll see how it lines up with my Logan

Back