What's new
What's new

Hardinge Carriage Feed Issue

Nadim

Plastic
Gentlmen,
I'm having an issue with my beloved Hardinge Narrow bed lathe HLV-BK?
Looks like the carriage motor wires frayed and shorted were they exit the motor. I replaced the guilty wire but still no luck getting any motion. Can somebody direct me what to do? I'm a total klutz with electronics so please spoon feed me the info :-).

Other info:
The motor plate says 115VDC.
The light at the Carriage control box on the right hand side will light up when powered.

Thank you!
Ned

The most likely problem is that the Variac in the control box on the right of the bed has burned out. They can be replaced like-for-like. If you were very lucky, there will just be a blown fuse, but that would normally have cut all power to the control box (there isn't normally a fuse in there). Take the front off the box and look (and smell!) inside for signs of burning).

It could also be the rectifiers if they are original. I understand they are prone to failure. The ones I've seen are a stack of funny green colored plates on a central shaft. Easy and cheap to replace! Good Luck!

Gentlmen,
I'm having an issue with my beloved Hardinge Narrow bed lathe HLV-BK?
Looks like the carriage motor wires frayed and shorted were they exit the motor. I replaced the guilty wire but still no luck getting any motion. Can somebody direct me what to do? I'm a total klutz with electronics so please spoon feed me the info :-).

Ned
Were you able to fix your HLV-BK? We have one, too, and I (just today) replaced all the selenium rectifiers with a new silicone rectifier design, and it's up and running nicely.

Back