What's new
What's new

Hardinge CHNC1 RS232 Comm Issue

TripleCautionMW

Plastic
Hello and thank you in advance for the collective knowledge of this group.

I own a Hardinge CHNC 1 with a Siemens 810T control. I am attempting to DNC a program to the control and I am getting the following error, "32 ORD14 Data format error (RS232)". I rechecked my cable pinout and everything tests good. I verified my setting data bits are correct, 5011/5013 is 11010100 and 5016 is 00001000. I double checked that the DNC software (DNC Precision) matches the setting data bits. I made myself a dumb little program;

%MPF1000
(TEST)
M30

Nothing seems to be doing the trick. I can see the DNC software starts to transfer the bytes but the control immediately throws up error 32"V24 DATA FORMAT ERROR". The manual gives the following explanations;

1. The permissible number of the decade after an address is incorrect.
2. The decimal point occurs in the wrong place.
3. The part programs or subroutines are not defined correctly or are closed (watch for heading!).

The corrective action is suggests is, "check the programs to be read".

I've tried searching the web and this forum for a similar issue but I cannot find anything. If anyone has an idea of something else I could check I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Hello and thank you in advance for the collective knowledge of this group.

I own a Hardinge CHNC 1 with a Siemens 810T control. I am attempting to DNC a program to the control and I am getting the following error, "32 ORD14 Data format error (RS232)". I rechecked my cable pinout and everything tests good. I verified my setting data bits are correct, 5011/5013 is 11010100 and 5016 is 00001000. I double checked that the DNC software (DNC Precision) matches the setting data bits. I made myself a dumb little program;

%MPF1000
(TEST)
M30

Nothing seems to be doing the trick. I can see the DNC software starts to transfer the bytes but the control immediately throws up error 32"V24 DATA FORMAT ERROR". The manual gives the following explanations;

1. The permissible number of the decade after an address is incorrect.
2. The decimal point occurs in the wrong place.
3. The part programs or subroutines are not defined correctly or are closed (watch for heading!).

The corrective action is suggests is, "check the programs to be read".

I've tried searching the web and this forum for a similar issue but I cannot find anything. If anyone has an idea of something else I could check I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Never had the Siemens..

I don't recognize the %MPF1000

In my experience, I would first try::
%
MPF1000
(TEST)
M30
%

If that doesn't do it, I'd try:

%
O1000
(TEST)\
M30
%

Note the % signs are all by themselves. These are legacy artifacts that would tell a tape reader to start and stop reading.

Never had the Siemens..

I don't recognize the %MPF1000

In my experience, I would first try::
%
MPF1000
(TEST)
M30
%

If that doesn't do it, I'd try:

%
O1000
(TEST)\
M30
%

Note the % signs are all by themselves. These are legacy artifacts that would tell a tape reader to start and stop reading.

Thanks for the reply. I tried this and still could not get anything to go. Just as a note I've also tried punching back an existing program with no luck as well.

According to what I can find, you have Even Parity, 1200 baud and what looks like 3 stop bits? Or is it 2? 11 hex >> 3 decimal. What are your settings in your DNC software?

Data Bits= 7 on both ends?

Again, from what I read,

%1000
(test)
M30

%1000 should be the program name. No letters. Try without the letters?

I was finally able to solve this issue after a chat with an applications engineer at Hardinge this morning. There wasn't a lot of hope after our first conversation but he was able to dig up some old parameter and cable pinout sheets that he had from a previous issue. Ultimately I was missing a jumper between pins 18 & 21 on the NC side (DB25). That fix allowed me to punch files back from the control but I was still getting a data format error when trying to download a program to the control. This ended up being a simple mistake when setting up the parameters in my DNC Precision software. I am going to attach screen shots of the sheets from Hardinge for future CHNC owner reference. Thank you for all of your help!

cable pinout.jpg

CHNC 810T SE-BITS parameters.jpg

CHNC 810T SE-BITS parameters2.jpg

Feel free to reach out if anyone needs help with this in the future. I don't get on here often but message me if you have a question.

Back