What's new
What's new

Hardinge collet closer

tbirds

Aluminum
Hi,
I'm in need of the bearing inside the handle; it's p/n: CLC0008233 at 470$usd; by the time I get it in Canada with the exchange, shipping, duties, the price is out of my budget for something I don't use often; it rotates but it's rough. I can live with that, unless someone has another supplier or a better idea?
Thanks.

I put one on my HLV-H about 22 years ago. I thought they were rather modestly priced back then. The bearing has the manufacturers number stamped on it. I could read mine if I took it out. I would think you could buy the same bearing and add the 2 set screw flats your self. Mine has always sounded dry and I have thought about drilling a hole almost through the shield and punching a hole the rest of the way then pumping some Vatra #2 in there. I would think getting some lube in yours would make it quieter till you get a new one.

An original Hardinge bearing I have is a Fafnir 208KDD. You can get generic bearings numbered 6208-RZ or 6208-2RZ that are apparently identical.

6208-RZ Radial Ball Bearing Double Shielded Bore Dia. 40mm OD 80mm Width 18mm | eBay

1pc New HRB deep groove ball bearing 6208-2RZ | eBay direct from China with free slow shipping

I needed several to rebuild some lever collet closers and used the generic bearings. I mounted the bearings by the OD in a Kalamazoo tilting indexer with 4" Ajust-Tru chuck and covered the seals with masking tape. I milled the angled slots with a 1/8" carbide flat-end bur running fast. They work fine.

Larry

I did as Larry and Fred say when I rebuilt my HLV and used a 6208-2RS with flats put on it with a Dremmel shaped object. If you got one from Hardinge, you would either be paying 30 years of rental on a warehouse shelf or paying for someone to make it as a special. That's only needed if you are doing a museum restoration!

I’ve done the same. Get the right sized appropriate bearing from China or eBay and put grooves in the bearing for the retaining screws. At least in the states there seems to be a wealth of NOS bearings available for not much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the great info. I went to E-bay yesterday, and easily found a bearing with the right p/n and manufacturer ( identical to the original) for 32$usd or 44$cdn including freight; at those prices, I don't think Hardinge is selling very many. I don't have an indexer ( I'm not a machinist), but I have a Dremel kit; making the 2 notches is the least of my worry; and yes, I found this bearing in the state of N.Y.
I appreciate all the assistance provided.
Thanks a lot.
Herman

Back