What's new
What's new

Hardinge collet closer and 5c mount chuck backplates

metalanton

Plastic
I have a feeler dv59 clone and using a 5c mount chuck backplate. Any tricks to drawing the 5c taper in tight since it does not have the usual springiness of a regular split collet. When I tighten it with the lock ring it seems between teeth on the closer ...loose on one tooth and won't get to next tooth for a tight engagement onto the 5c taper. Closer handle doesnt stay in position when tight

I am thinking the cams on your closer are poorly engineered, all of my Hardinges will give me multiple settings on the closing of solid fixtures and collet stubs. No clue how to fix the problem unless Hardinge parts will interchange in your closer. I did buy a new Hardinge closer for my Tsugami chucker many years ago. I had to ream the pivot pin hole from 1/2 inch to 13mm. No big deal doing that.

I have no trouble holding 5C solid adapters in my Hardinge lathes with lever closers. I use a pair of 4" Buck 6-jaw chucks on 5C fixture mounts and a pair of Swiss 6-jaw chucks on 5C plug chucks.

Larry

I’ve had the same experience as Larry. I have a few different small chucks mounted on solid 5C fixture plates and the collet closer works well with them.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I think I found the sweet spot. It was just a more subtle engagement than I expected. I'm new to collet closers and decent quality lathes in general! This thing is amazing though

Back