What's new
What's new

Hardinge cross-slide gear train gears pitch

thanvg

Hot Rolled
Dear all hi,

please help if possible: does anyone know what DP are the final three gears in the cross-slide power feed gear train on the HLV-H? I am talking about the 43 teeth gear on the clutch, the 70 T idler and the 23 T gear on the cross-slide screw.

My initial calculations showed that it is 33 DP but I cannot find any cutters so I am thinking I might be wrong.

Hope someone has an idea about that.

Thank you in advance,
BR,
Thanos

I wonder are the HLV apron gears the same as the HLV-H?

No, the HLV gears are all 22/29 stub form, with a 14 tooth gear on the cross slide screw itself. I imagine that's probably why Hardinge changed to a finer pitch for the HLV-H, because the HLV one isn't as smooth or long-lasting as it could be. Is the HLV-H rack pinion also 14 tooth, like the HLV?

Hi,

I've replied to the 33 DP gear cutter thread, and will reply here for completness. There are 33 D.P. 20deg PA gears, in the UK made HC2 according to the drawings dated 1965 which I have and also in my example UK made HLV-H. My lathe is a very early one and I cannot be sure if the KL-1 is the same.

Mark -- my lathe rack pinion is also 14 tooth.

Thanks,
Steve

For all that chimed in here, please know that new gears were cut, apron is working, details here

Many thanks to all

BR,
Thanos

Back