What's new
What's new

Hardinge DSM 59 split bed spindle bore

Thissideup

Plastic
Hey guys, new to the forum and yes I searched but results had nothing to do with my search terms. I bought a Hardinge DSM 59 split bed machine that’s currently on a truck headed this way. I found a hand chuck, bayonet style that takes 2J collets. I want to run 1.25” material and I know it won’t fit through the 5C collets but wondering if anyone can tell me if I remove the collet closer and put a bigger chick on with 2J collets, will the bore be big enough to pass 1.250 material through? The chuck is on eBay and auction will be over before the machine is here for me to measure.

Cheers
SCOTT

Last edited:
The DV59 and DSM59 do not have split beds. You probably bought a TR59 or ESM59, which do have split beds and were made from 1940 to 1946.

If you remove the 5C collet key from the spindle, the spindle bore will allow 1.250 (no larger) stock to pass through, the same diameter as a 5C collet body.

That chuck says on the front that it was made with a D1-3 back, so someone somehow changed the mount. Hard to tell if it was well done and what condition it is in, but the rubber wheel looks abused.

Larry

Perfect thanks! I bought it mainly for the turret. So if I can’t make it work I’ll build an adapter to mount it to my 14-40. I’ll stay away from that chuck. I’m leaning all kinds of new things about these old machines!

Back