What's new
What's new

Hardinge DSM-59 Victor copy.

Pressman

Plastic
I have relentlessly searched through the forum for any information regarding Victor turret Lathes. I cannot seem to find anything!

I am picking up an older Victor 616 which appears to be a mid 80s machine. It looks to be a Hardinge DSM copy. It has dual cross slide, vertical cutoff, 6 position turret.

Has anyone ran one? This will be my first turret lathe. I've got a few parts I need to make in decent quantity and was just curious how others got on with this particular machine.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Here's a few pictures.

Hoping to hear something about this machine!

Attachments

• 20190403074912906_L.JPG
    20190403074912906_L.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 20190403074913050_L.jpg
    20190403074913050_L.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 20190403074913229_L.jpg
    20190403074913229_L.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 107
Hello,
I have similar but with the "JET" logo. Probably made in Taiwan. MSC used to sell this machine in the 25 Grand+ range. They are half the price of a Hardinge, but work well. You could do worse....

Hello,
I have similar but with the "JET" logo. Probably made in Taiwan. MSC used to sell this machine in the 25 Grand+ range. They are half the price of a Hardinge, but work well. You could do worse....

The Victor looks a little ragged but it the mechanics of it felt nice.

Comes with the schematic so that's always helpful.

I'm hoping the Victor will produce good tolerances!

Just an update:

Got the Victor is the shop and all set up. It's a nice little machine!

Now to figure out how to use it lol!

Turret set up is so different than what I'm used to. Clearances seem to be the hardest part to manage when setting up the tooling?

I assume you mean getting all the tools in a set up without collisions? if so we used to use Somma and Brookfield holders to chuck screw machine length drills. If you use jobbers drills and regular drill chucks things will not work so well as they will stick out to far.

There are several threads in this forum about tooling for the Hardinge version, I have posted several pictures on these.

I have a borrowed Feeler version in one of my customers shop. The shop owner just finished a 100 Pc job that nobody (CNC shops) wants in about 3 Hours including setup @ 1.60 ea using customer supplied material.

If you post a sketch of what you are trying to make, there are several knowledgeable members here that have good ideas on how to get it done.

Bill

I assume you mean getting all the tools in a set up without collisions? if so we used to use Somma and Brookfield holders to chuck screw machine length drills. If you use jobbers drills and regular drill chucks things will not work so well as they will stick out to far.

I picked up quite a few drill holders. All of them are the V style holders! Time to start stocking up on screw length drills! Thanks for the advice!

There are several threads in this forum about tooling for the Hardinge version, I have posted several pictures on these.

I have a borrowed Feeler version in one of my customers shop. The shop owner just finished a 100 Pc job that nobody (CNC shops) wants in about 3 Hours including setup @ 1.60 ea using customer supplied material.

If you post a sketch of what you are trying to make, there are several knowledgeable members here that have good ideas on how to get it done.

Bill

Can you recommend anyone that can burn a form tool?

I use W T Grinding in Arlington TX, they also do wire EDM. You should be able to find many places closer to you.
If you can find that old thread on there were pages of turret lathe tooling examples and recommendations. If you find it post an additional reply on it and it will come back on top. Doubtless many others will benefit by seeing it.
That one probably should be sticky.

I use W T Grinding in Arlington TX, they also do wire EDM. You should be able to find many places closer to you.
If you can find that old thread on there were pages of turret lathe tooling examples and recommendations. If you find it post an additional reply on it and it will come back on top. Doubtless many others will benefit by seeing it.
That one probably should be sticky.

I'll be sure to do some searching!

Here's a question! A previous owner stripped out one of the tool positions on the turret. Has anyone ever pulled them out? Curious how to do it.

Maybe I worry too much but I do not like the idea of a slide hammer. Bearings and locking mechanism may take a beating. I would make a custom puller and screw it out myself.

On the thread with the best tooling recommendations there were at least 3 pages of posts. I found several with 2 pages not as many suggestions and photos, but the 3 page one is here somewhere.

Maybe I worry too much but I do not like the idea of a slide hammer. Bearings and locking mechanism may take a beating. I would make a custom puller and screw it out myself.

On the thread with the best tooling recommendations there were at least 3 pages of posts. I found several with 2 pages not as many suggestions and photos, but the 3 page one is here somewhere.

Fred,

The slide hammer was successful. Honestly didn't take much Force to remove the split cotter's. I suspect the ones made for my Victor has a soft heat treat profile which unfortunately led to a stripped out lower cotter.

Looks like a perfect first job for me to make!

Thanks for the heads up- even though I didn't heed the warning (I never seen the reply).

-Matt

Back