What's new
What's new

Hardinge DSM tooling.

Pressman

Plastic
I can't seem to find any dimensional drawings of Hardinge tool holders anywhere.

Does anyone know if ASM tooling will fit DSM?

I picked up a lot of tooling and a few of the pieces Mount to the cross slide.

Particularly ASM-C2 wedge tool.

The answer is "some does, some doesn't". The turret tooling interchanges (hope that's obvious). The head-mounted slides are not compatible, so you can't use the ASM head-mounted forming or cutting toolholders on the DSM slide. I believe (offhand, not certain) the cross-slide heights are not the same, so the direct-mounted tools (like the multi-tool forming toolholders) have different versions for ASM and DSM. The cross-slide riser block would also be different heights.

The Yahoo Hardinge lathe/mill group has brochures for the ASM and DSM, and you can compare the available accessories for the two machines. Sadly, Hardinge did not give the actual part numbers for all the accessories, so sometimes it's not explicitly clear whether the two machines take the same, or just similar, parts.

Larry Vanice can probably give you the authoritative and comprehensive answer.

I have a DSM-59, I do not have a DSMA or a ASM.
The center height above the lever slide is 2.315"+/-
The mounting block for tooling is 1.3" tall.
This means that blocks for the back of the slide (tool upside down) will be approx 1" tall.
And tools for the front side will be 1" minus the tool height (1/4" or 3/8")
I have an ASM1 block that is a mirror image to a D4 block, I use both.
The ASM-C2 and ASM-D1 are too tall for the DSM-59 they can easily be cut down if needed.

Bill

I got my ESM59 lathe around 1983 or so and used the turret a lot, so I have a pile of turret and lever cross slide tooling that also fits the DSM59, some for sale. I always avoided buying any of the tooling for the automatics that probably would not work on my lathes. Never having them, I cannot comment on any specific automatic tooling, except I think I do have one piece.

Larry

Back