What's new
What's new

Hardinge DV-59 (74 Build Date) - running fine, spindle speed slowed, then died

candersen10

Plastic
I have a 3 Phase Hardinge DV-59 (1974 Build Date) which was running fine yesterday for some time. Later in the day, as I was using it, the spindle speed slowed. Then suddenly, the machine died and won't turn on anymore.

Any suggestions on what to check? Fuses? something else?

Thanks!

the spindle speed slowed. Then suddenly, the machine died and won't turn on anymore.

What conditions when it slowed? Hi or Low? Fwd or Rev? Running off real 3 phase or a phase converter (rotary or static?)

I suspect one of the contacts on the drum switches did not close properly, leaving the motor single phased.
Now you have an overload relay that has operated and shut down things before the motor got damaged.

Post a picture of the inside of the electrical panel and we can guide you to where the problem is and where the overloads are.

Bill

What conditions when it slowed? Hi or Low? Fwd or Rev? Running off real 3 phase or a phase converter (rotary or static?)

I suspect one of the contacts on the drum switches did not close properly, leaving the motor single phased.
Now you have an overload relay that has operated and shut down things before the motor got damaged.

Post a picture of the inside of the electrical panel and we can guide you to where the problem is and where the overloads are.

Bill

Bill,

Many thanks for the reply.

It was spinning freely in high speed I believe but about midway through the range (i.e. no tooling was making contact with the work piece) It was running/spinning freely, and then suddenly began to slow down for no apparent reason. It is running off of 3 phase, provided by an american rotary converter.

Here's an image of the inside of the electrical panel. My first thought was that a fuse may have gone, but all appear to work per a voltmeter.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much for the help!
hardinge DV59 inside.jpg

While this

Very possible heat has something to do with this. Sometimes when running all day or even just for a couple hours what can happen is the electronics get overloaded and the heat sinks don’t do a good enough job getting rid of the heat. We have one machine at the shop that does this exact same thing. By adding some blocks of aluminum to the top of the electrical box it helped pull some of the excess heat out and the machine runs fine now. This was on the exact same machine +/- a year or two

Very possible heat has something to do with this. Sometimes when running all day or even just for a couple hours what can happen is the electronics get overloaded and the heat sinks don’t do a good enough job getting rid of the heat. We have one machine at the shop that does this exact same thing. By adding some blocks of aluminum to the top of the electrical box it helped pull some of the excess heat out and the machine runs fine now. This was on the exact same machine +/- a year or two

Does anything trip when electronics get overloaded? Fuses somewhere etc.?

Not that I’m aware in some cases I’m sure a fuse could fail. Ours slowed down then stopped. If you left it alone for an hour or two it would work again. If I recall I think it was my brother who said the capacitors were overloaded hence the extra effort at heat removal.

Would it power on after it stopped?

Mine was running fine, slowed then powered off, and won't power on again.

Is it likely that the overload relay failed and would be the cause? I see in the schematic (see attached picture) that this DV59 has a component called a HVA8122 Overload Relay. Does that seem like the most likely culprit?

DV59 schematic.jpg

The overload relay should have a reset button. Mine is a square red button.

The other possibility is that a switch contact is faulty. I mean one or more of those switches below the two black cams. The switches there can be removed and serviced without removing the cams.

Ron’s I think your on the right path it very well could be a faulty switch contact or the overload relay needing to be reset. It would seem that DV59’s are susceptible to this kind of issue.

Is it likely that the overload relay failed and would be the cause? I see in the schematic (see attached picture) that this DV59 has a component called a HVA8122 Overload Relay. Does that seem like the most likely culprit?View attachment 242858

The overload relays trip with overcurrent to stop things before a motor is damaged. I would not expect a failure at this point. Just a overload relay doing it's job.

Your overload relays are located on the right side of your electrical cabinet. Just below the right drum switch.
There are 3 then a small space and 3 more. If you had a coolant pump, there would be 3 groups of 3.
The reset buttons are black and approx 3/16" X 3/4".
One possibly 2 need to be reset by pushing. The one (or 2) that is tripped will have a little less travel than the others.

The part that has failed is probably a contact on the drum switch. It may be somewhat hard to find for a non electrician.
The good thing is with a mirror, you can look in and see the contacts. The one that is the problem may be burned more than the others.

Bill

Did you get this fixed? If so what was the problem? When you say it wont power up I assume you mean that when you hit start button The red light does not come on And you do not hear the mag starter pull in? If this is the case start with the low voltage transformer.

Back