What's new
What's new

Hardinge eccentric Bolt

jeffers

Cast Iron
My eccentric bolt was badly pitted on my compound and I wanted to make a new bolt before it snapped and created a nightmare.
I used the dimentions and advice that jim Caudill posted and it worked out great.
Used my 4 jaw to do the offset diameter once the other diameters were turned, I used a dial indicator to set the offset.
I used a high strength 5" 7/16" cap head bolt from McMaster Carr for $8 instead of the $45 for the bolt from Hardinge.

Attachments

• IMG_3383.jpg
    IMG_3383.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_3384.jpg
    IMG_3384.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_3385.jpg
    IMG_3385.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 195
While you are at it, think about drilling a 1/8" hole through the left side of the compound. If the eccentric ever breaks, it will take the pain out of replacing it. As you can see, the hole does not look bad. I think some people tap the hole and use a screw to plug it.

I wonder how that old eccentric got rusty, and what other issues it may suggest.

Larry

DSC01537.jpg

Nice job, if you don't mind what were the demensions and offsets. I wonder if there the same as the carriage lock bolt. Just with s different head, Allen head versus splines for a handle.

I did not post it as a "how to make it" I merely wanted to share my discovery of that it was not too difficult to replace it with the benefit of the excellent resources of this site.

While you are at it, think about drilling a 1/8" hole through the left side of the compound. If the eccentric ever breaks, it will take the pain out of replacing it. As you can see, the hole does not look bad. I think some people tap the hole and use a screw to plug it.
Larry

View attachment 230008

Usually after tapping and installing a setscrew, one stamps "OIL" alongside the screw hole.

=)

Back