What's new
What's new

Hardinge HC Auto Threading attachment Info.

Carson

Plastic
Hi to ALL,
I have looked hi and low for info regarding the auto threading attachment for the hc.
I'm interested in it's specific operation. All I can find is a brief description. Air and electric ... cycles automatically ..... not much info.
Couple of utubes but nothing describes how it is set up and actually works.
I did see the master and follower, that part is pretty well self explanatory.
I'm curious about :
Internals ? Set-up procedure ?
How it trips to retract ?
How to set the infeed angle ?
....depth of cut .number of passes .... spring passes ... ?
I'm not interested in purchasing a $100 manual, just wanting a clear understanding of how it works.
Any good links appreciated ..... or other info welcome.

Thanks very much,
Carson

WOW! You have a complete set up and need to get it to run? I ran one my first week in a machine shop back in the early seventies. I did not set it up but it sure looked complicated. Later on I watched a foreman run a Tsugami HC copy with a manual threading attachment. It was almost as fast and probably a lot easier to set up.
From the way these 2 operated, I would guess that they could do internal threads. I understand that you can buy a used Omniturn for a couple of thousand, that would be a lot easier than trying to rebuild all the pnuematics on an old Hardinge auto threader.
I have part of the Tsugami threading attachment that I pulled off when I installed the Omniturn. If you want it you can have it for the cost of shipping.

Hi Fred,
No, I don't have one, just curious as to how it operates.
From what I understand so far, they will do external, internal, right and left hand threads. (just need LH master and follower)
Thanks for the offer ! What does it weigh ? .. and, where are you ?
Thanks

The Tsugami manual had trip mechanism on the front of the headstock. When adjustment screw reached it, it tripped and lifted the nut clear of the pitch screw mounted on the spindle. This thing would automatically reset when you pulled the arm down again, a spring in the guide assembly auto reurned it to the start position.
In operation you would pull the handle down with your left hand which engaged the follower and adjust the slide down with your right hand. If I remember correctly the foreman kept each hand on the respective handle/screw till the operation was finished. It took about a minute to thread a part.
What was on my Tsugami, was the slide assembly behind the head stock, one screw 18 pitch and at least part of the follower mount. The slide and tool holder were missing as well as the trip block on the front.
This thing weighs at least 50 lbs and would be fairly ackward to box up.
I am in south Texas near San Antonio.

Hi Tom, message returned ... THANKS !

Fred, from what I gathered, you would start the HC threading cycle, then it would run to completion untouched, fully automatic.

Hope to learn more soon.
I think I'll pass on the Tsugami parts, but thanks so much for the offer, very kind of you.
Thanks for your time !

I know this thread is a bit old.
I have a Hardinge HC with the AT attachment, but like the OP, I don't know how to properly set it up and run it.
I've watched one of the few videos on YouTube, and when I have air hooked up and I pull the activate button, nothing happens.
What air pressure does it want?
Is there something in the electrical cabinet that needs to be set?
I don't see any status light that shows it is powered or not.

Back