What's new
What's new

Hardinge HC Bed Wipers - Home Made

skippy

Aluminum
Chaps,

Last week I replaced the bed wipers on a Hardinge HC lathe with some generic Dynatech FB-AW wiper strip. While it would do the job, I thought it looked a bit ordinary, and CNCed up a pair of plastic covers to locate the wiper strip. The covers are shaped so that the preload on the lip seal presses the bottom of the cover against the sides of the bed, acting as basic wipers on these two faces. I still need to make some steel chip covers to protect the plastic covers, but overall it's cheap and cheerful solution.

I'm not sure how to do it, but I'm happy to post the drawing and gcode on the thread if there is any interest.

Cheers, Steve

IMG_1459.jpgIMG_1461.jpgIMG_1462.jpg

I cut some 1/16" thick nitrile buna sheet using the Hardinge HC steel guard as a quasi-template - though the wiping contour was cut 1/16" undersize. Fit behind the steel guards, they sealed perfectly - keeping oil in, chips out. I removed them yesterday after one year of dirty use (upgrading carriage from lateral feed only to lateral/transverse feed) and couldn't find one speck of anything that had worked it's way past the wipers. They are going back on the new carriage (after scraping) and I've made them for all my other machines. Can't beat the price.

Have you considered making an extra and installing it on the face of your tailstock. It surprising how much junk ends up under the tailstock.

Back