Hardinge HC chucker threaded spindle nose specs ? (size for chucks)
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hardinge HC chucker threaded spindle nose specs ? (size for chucks)

Amazed I couldn't find this simple info here by search but I couldn't. I recently bought a Schaublin 102N-VM which came with some excess 3 jaw chucks that were obviously not meant for the Schaublin... two of them are Hardinge brand and one is NOS in the original box Buck Adjust Thru 5 inch, all with threaded backplates the same size...about 2 1/8 to 2 3/16" I would guess on the threaded nose they were meant to fit, TPI a mystery...anywhere from 10 to 25 my guess.

So, if ya got an HC with threaded spindle nose, what exactly is the spec on that nose ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

same for all 5c threaded Hardinge spindles whether indexer, dividing head, second op, chucker, or toolroom HVL-xx 2-3/16 10

smt, got the factory new Hardinge/Buck 6" chuck but not the HC.

4. Likes Stradbash liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post
    same for all 5c threaded Hardinge spindles whether indexer, dividing head, second op, chucker, or toolroom HVL-xx 2-3/16 10

smt, got the factory new Hardinge/Buck 6" chuck but not the HC.
    OK, good to know...now if I can find my thread gauge to absolutely confirm 10 TPI. But being Hardinge brand that is almost certainly the thread spec wouldn't you think ? t have two Hardinge brand 3 jaw chucks with the same threaded mount, one is 5" the other is 6 1/2". The 5 inch one looks good in general but has one set of jaws only.

The 6.5" may be NOS as it looks perfect and has modern reversible jaws. If the Hardinge brand chucks have a "backplate" it is not perceivable as such....they seem to have been made with that threaded mount from the get go.

The Buck Adjust Thru with same threaded mount is 5" NOS in original box with unwrapped extra jaw set, wrench and manual.

Suspect the "demand" for these is low however since the HC is not used nearly as much as years ago, plus not all HC's have threaded spindles...some have the Hardinge taper mount same as the other models. But still a nice machine to have around. When I manufactured tapping machines in the 1990's I did not even own an engine lathe but used an HC for all turning work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's demand for the chucks because they are so well made, especially if they are all adjust-tru style. If not adjust tru, then prices won't be commnesurate with recent (past 10 years)prices from factory.

Then there's guys like me that really prefer the taper nose on all their Hardinge equipment, and others that prefer the threaded nose. As you mention, Chuckers seemed to mostly come with threaded noses for some reason.

smt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post

Suspect the "demand" for these is low however since the HC is not used nearly as much as years ago, plus not all HC's have threaded spindles...some have the Hardinge taper mount same as the other models. But still a nice machine to have around. When I manufactured tapping machines in the 1990's I did not even own an engine lathe but used an HC for all turning work.
    The value of Hardinge HC accessories is pretty low last I checked. I sold off all the excess a year or so ago and I think I got a whopping $50 for a nice 5" Hardinge brand 3 jaw that I spit shined and even made a new key for. That was auctioned with "free shipping". I seem to remember paying $150 for it with a bent up chuck key and needing clean-up from a Reliable Tool E-bay auction in the mid 90's. That $150 did not include shipping either. I used to live 60 miles from Reliable and visited quite frequently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The value of Hardinge HC accessories is pretty low last I checked. I sold off all the excess a year or so ago and I think I got a whopping $50 for a nice 5" Hardinge brand 3 jaw that I spit shined and even made a new key for. That was auctioned with "free shipping". I seem to remember paying $150 for it with a bent up chuck key and needing clean-up from a Reliable Tool E-bay auction in the mid 90's. That $150 did not include shipping either. I used to live 60 miles from Reliable and visited quite frequently.
    I was thinking he had Buck Forkhardt and maybe Kalamazoo's like I bought at the auction. If they are the older AC/made in England style, you may be right. I sold one with only one set of jaws on here (PM) a few years ago for $95 and I think the purchaser may have resold it for more. They still bring about 100 - 200 on ebay. Right around $150 seems typical, many only have one set of jaws. If you use them, it is good to have one set up with inside jaws, and one with outside so they don't have to be changed. Same thing even with the 4 jaw chucks, one inside, one outside.

smt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A 10 TPI thread? Who needs a thread gauge, use a 6" scale.

10. Likes Milacron liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree that most of the Hardinge 5C spindle lathes with the threaded nose are the chucker models. I say most because I salvaged a threaded spindle out of a scrap DSM-A and the antique Cataract quick change swing lathes tend to have threaded spindles. But, for some reason, most of the Hardinge HV indexers with chuck mount noses and the Hardinge dividing heads have the threaded nose. So there is a market for the threaded chucks beyond the chucker owners. But, generally, the threaded chucks sell much lower than comparable taper mount chucks.

Larry

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Milacron

Well you've got your answer on the threads ... but ... have you got 102N VM parts / service manual? ... I think I've still got them in store after selling mine.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, they don't bring much, even in new condition. I sold one (6.5') about a year ago for less than $200.00. I asked the buyer what he was using it on and he said it was the same thread as his CNC machine. I'm not sure what it was but might have been Fadal.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    manual.

Suspect the "demand" for these is low however since the HC is not used nearly as much as years ago, plus not all HC's have threaded spindles...some have the Hardinge taper mount same as the other models.
    Have you ever actually seen a Hand Chucker with anything other than a threaded spindle? I didn't think they existed.

And yes they are also handy for general support and even maintenance work.
    Bushings, shortening cap screws, etc. And easier to machine step chucks or emergency collets on the HC for the cnc lathe.
    The mongrel I have doesn't even have a serial number stamped on the bed casting. A display machine, it had a clear plexiglass cover on the front carriage showing the internal workings, gears and clutches. Also has the high speed Kodak headstock. Destined for the scrap hopper, someone side-tracked it out of the plant over Easter vacation. I found out about it thru the grapevine. Quite a quest finally "scoring" it and landing it in the garage. It was virtually new, never having cut any metal, just carted around to the shows. Real Hardinge treasure I thought at the time. I guess I'm safe to share the adventure .....30+ years after the fact.
    Last edited by dkmc; 07-02-2016 at 11:45 AM.

15. Likes stephen thomas liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    Have you ever actually seen a Hand Chucker with anything other than a threaded spindle? I didn't think they existed....
    I looked at some of my original sales literature and found this: The HC was sold with the threaded spindle and there was no mention of any option. The HLV-H, DV and DSM were sold with the taper spindle, but could be ordered with the threaded spindle.

Still, I would not be shocked to find there was an HC sold with a tapered spindle.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wonder if the county will ever fix that bump in the road. Fascinating how much stuff "fell off the back of a truck" from the Hardinge plant just as it went past your shop. Some, i think may have been millstones, but exciting at the time (gantry mill, eg)

smt

18. Likes L Vanice, dkmc, Stradbash liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L Vanice View Post
    The HLV-H, DV and DSM were sold with the taper spindle, but could be ordered with the threaded spindle.
    Still, I would not be shocked to find there was an HC sold with a tapered spindle.Larry
    HSLs were sold with threaded spindle as well, which I have no doubt Mr Vanice knows but simply did not mention.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    Have you ever actually seen a Hand Chucker with anything other than a threaded spindle? I didn't think they existed.
    Sure, the HC I owned and used for years had the same exterior tapered spindle as an HLV-H. It even had the automatic thread chasing attachment with a motherlode of chasers and followers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile

Pictures!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stradbash View Post
    Pictures!
    Here's the NOS 5" Buck Adjust-Thru with Hardinge threaded nose. I see nice looking 5" 3 jaw Hardinge threaded back chucks on eBay for $600 but they are typically missing the other set of jaws and not for sure NOS like this one. So how much should this one bring ??

fullsizerender-98.jpg fullsizerender-96.jpg fullsizerender-94.jpg fullsizerender-95.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fullsizerender-97.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stradbash View Post
    Pictures!
    Here's the 6" Hardinge brand version. Obviously no need of the extra jaw set here since they are reversable type. The jaws look so perfect this one might be NOS as well but I can't prove it. (it's not as shiny as the Buck, mostly due to coat of LPS spray)

Also it is missing the "key" but the square is a perfect fit for a 3/8" socket wrench drive.

fullsizerender-85.jpg fullsizerender-86.jpg fullsizerender-84.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just an FYI in regards to spindles HLV, DSM, DV, HSL were all standard with a taper nose, HC was standard with threaded nose, however either spindle could be ordered at no charge.

Tom

25. Likes dkmc liked this post