What's new
What's new

Hardinge HC-R, my new projects!

jordan6679

Plastic
It was a 1600 mile drive but I safely arrived home with a pair of 1961 hardinge HC-R with auto threaders. One I am keeping to mechanically restore the other will be gone through and flipped. I was concerned about the power source but took a shot in the dark this morning and hooked up my vfd set to 220v 60hz steady and she came alive! Everything was fully operational but the spindle brake which there may be an activation switch I hadn't discovered yet. I was able to turn a little titanium, the cross slide is absolutely beautiful and accurate the likes I have never seen before and its a filthy mess right now! I'm on the hunt for tool holders, a taper attachment, and whatever other goodies I can get my hands on to have a fully operational setup. Its clear these sat for a while but under the grime shines a beautiful piece of American history. She makes a beautiful partner for my vfd driven UM. More to come!
10a777c2f11fd861f255c82471a44972.jpg
4609eb55faf045d3cc5ed4b6626f3698.jpg
25296f94b1b0b1bad05517ed554d0d7b.jpg
2f29d7a6727649579963d792eb5f28ad.jpg
24cc11f15274f254669aeeb68e7e6658.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have an old undated operating manual for the chucker automatic threading unit. The lathe shown in the pictures is the 1960 model with a spindle speed control box on a tube above the headstock. The pictures of the threading unit look like yours.

I also have a C6-B taper attachment for the chucker.

I have an operator manual for the old model HC and HCT chuckers dated 1957, but that would not entirely apply to a 1960 model.

Larry

I have an old undated operating manual for the chucker automatic threading unit. The lathe shown in the pictures is the 1960 model with a spindle speed control box on a tube above the headstock. The pictures of the threading unit look like yours.

I also have a C6-B taper attachment for the chucker.

I have an operator manual for the old model HC and HCT chuckers dated 1957, but that would not entirely apply to a 1960 model.

Larry
I'm interested in the manual and taper attachment have any pictures? I definitely need a taper attachment for my application.

DSC01167.jpgDSC01169.jpgDSC01171.jpgDSC01172.jpgDSC01173.jpg

The last picture shows the outboard support bracket for the threading bar, which is probably missing from your machine. I don't have the guide block, but that is a simple hardened and ground block of steel that bolts to the turret.

The taper attachment uses 5/8 round shank tools, like boring bars, or bushings and smaller tools. It has a travel of 7/8".

I sent you an email on 20Aug17 at 10:01 PM, so you should have my email address.

Larry

View attachment 206395View attachment 206396View attachment 206397View attachment 206398View attachment 206399

The last picture shows the outboard support bracket for the threading bar, which is probably missing from your machine. I don't have the guide block, but that is a simple hardened and ground block of steel that bolts to the turret.

The taper attachment uses 5/8 round shank tools, like boring bars, or bushings and smaller tools. It has a travel of 7/8".

I sent you an email on 20Aug17 at 10:01 PM, so you should have my email address.

Larry
Pm sent Larry

Hi Jordan,
Just curious how the speed control works on these. Was just looking at one and trying to figure out if it's complete.

Thanks
Will

Hi Jordan,
Just curious how the speed control works on these. Was just looking at one and trying to figure out if it's complete.

Thanks
Will

I think the R in the model means it is a "hot rod" designed for rapid start/stop/reverse. The motor is a two speed, but there is a set of pulleys you install to set the spindle speed for each high quantity job you set up. One picture shows the inside of the motor door with the pins for storing the extra pulleys. This model will not have the variable pitch pulley used in most HC's. Of course, a VFD can be used.

Larry

How are the machines now?
I just got my HC with threading attachment not too long ago, but I need to learn how to set up and to use the threading attachment.

Last edited:

Back