What's new
What's new

Hardinge HC won't turn on (sorta)

Evan LaCava

Cast Iron
Has anyone had an issue where their HC or HLVH (late model...1988 I think) won't turn on while using the pull switch?

Here's the issue.
Machine deff has power. Just installed new transformer. Tested (proven in a sec)
Pull the start switch, nothing happens.

Now if I:
Open electrical panel
Manually push in contactor that is controlled by the pull start / push stop switch.
And hold it down, or in the "contacted" position

Everything on the machine works flawlessly. Everything. Coolant pumps variable speed reverse etc.

I know for a fact that the pull/push switch itself isn't bad. (Took one off of a spare DV59 we have, turned the DV on and off just fine before I pulled it off and swapped it to the HC)

I'm not getting any power to the switch, I don't think. The light isn't going on

Also the reason I don't think I'm getting any power to the switch is because I forgot to kill the power on the DV59 and when I went to take out the switch on that one I got zapped, and I have nothing on any of the leads on the HC.

I checked every fuse, 3F,4F are the only single phase fuses in there as far as I can tell. Unless I'm blind or they're hidden somewhere not in the electrical panel. 5F,6F are not used in this machine (aux light, thread chaser)

Btw the machine worked just fine. No issues. Turned it off after using it one day didn't turn back on. I had an old 3kva transformer that I thought was the issue so just bought a brand new 10kva. Now I'm thinking I wasted some $ lol. Whoops. But the current new 10kva is not the issue, as I said the machine operates flawlessly if that contactor is held down.

Well the electrical panel switch is bypassed by me manually flipping it on and off (with the door in the open position)

But you know what? You may be right about the spindle lock. It's obviously not engaged because the machine runs just fine, but it could be pushed in just a hair, or enough that the electronic interlock isn't letting it kick on. Now I'm hoping that's it! Guess I'll find out first thing in the morning.

Any other ideas guys?

Looking again at the wiring diagram, 1LS, spindle interlock limit switch, feeds power to the pull start.

I couldn't get it off my mind so I headed back to the shop. Bingo!!
Thanks again. Hopefully this may help someone else who has the same problem (although it was right in front of my the entire time. I overlooked the simplest thing...doh!!)

interlock switch

I couldn't get it off my mind so I headed back to the shop. Bingo!!
Thanks again. Hopefully this may help someone else who has the same problem (although it was right in front of my the entire time. I overlooked the simplest thing...doh!!)

Don't feel bad, yer not the first! :angry:

Yep, def not the first. Happened to me with my '78 HC. Ran fine before.....parked it, moved it, tried to get it up and running again, and figured out about the spindle interlock. Yay for manuals!
-Aaron

My Hardinge HC Chucker won't start

Haven't used my HC Chucker (wiring diagram CH-D 8220) in quite a while.
I plugged it in and the light on the on/off push pull switch was not lit and when I pulled on the switch I could not get it to light and start the machine The same thing happened a year or so before this and I played with the Safety Interlock Switch on the top left hand side of the spindle housing and the light finally came on and the machine ran fine.

Current Status:
!: I took apart the top push/pull button and removed the long shaft with the spring attached on the bottom. A cleaned the shaft and lubricated it so it slides up and down as it should. I checked the microswitch with an meter and it is working properly i.e. turning on and off when the actuator button was pressed on the microswitch. I reinstalled the microswitch and adjusted it to make sure that when the upper control button is pushed or pulled it properly actuates the microswitch to either the on or off position.

2: When the power is on and I push the appropriate contactor in the side control cabinet with an insulated item the machine will run as it should in the different ranges/directions and the speed control for both the high and low ranges works as they should.

3: Currently I am not getting any 110 volt A/C power to the push/pull switch where wires #8,#9 and #54 terminate to the switch as it is not lit when power is applied to the machine and the button pulled outward to turn it on. I checked the above referenced wires on the on/off switch for power i.e. 110 volts ac and was not able to get that a/c 110 voltage to the switch.

4: I have checked what I think??? to all the fuses in the control cabinet and they all seem to be good with tested with a meter.

5: I have included pictures of the Hardinge Nameplate that shows the correct schematic for my machine and also a pictures of the control switch.

6: Does anyone have any idea where the source of a/c 110 volt power to the switch comes from???????

7: I can take a picture of the interior of the control panel if that would help identifying any appropriate component to check for proper operation and post it to the forum.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20211010_111859.jpg
    20211010_111859.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211010_181814.jpg
    20211010_181814.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 25
I just opened up the cabinet on my HLV-H and it does have a 110 transformer in the main electrical case. I assume the HC does also. Looking for 110 in the cabinet I think I would start at the top of the transformer then check the output and work out from there.

Back