What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-BK Carriage Problem

MilGunsmith

Stainless
Got back from vacation to find that the carriage handwheel on the Hardinge HLV-BK in the shop stopped working. No one else in the shop admits to a problem happening. The wheel will move the carriage until the cutter tries to take a cut, then wheel moves and carriage doesn't. The same thing happens when trying to use the power feed. I am thinking that it is a broken pin, or sheered key, but I cant find a parts drawing or manual online that is correct for this model serial number HLV-BK 2802-4. Any help?

That will teach you to take a vacation. I can not remember when I had one.
My HLV-H has a tapered pin on the lead screw designed to break in case of an overload. You have included enough info to say for sure it is not the key on the carriage wheel, must be the pin that goes through the pinion and shaft that engages the rack.
Never been in there myself, I am sure others here can lend a hand.

There is a Woodruff key tying the handwheel to its shaft. That's quite easy to check, since the end of the shaft is visible, so you can see if it's turning with the handwheel.

The original rack pinion is made on a short stub shaft which is pinned to the hollow shaft/journal of the large gear that drives it. This pin can fail. If it does, there's a chance that the bearing has been taken out by the bits.

Probably the best bet is to take the motor off, take the power feed control box off, remove the threading stop rod, then drop the apron off the cross slide. You should be able to tell if the rack pinion is no longer joined to the gear.

Remove the clutch housings, half nut lever and handwheel. Then remove the front plate from the apron. At that point all can be examined. Be prepared to spend time and money!

You can download a manual and parts book from Hugh's site. I found his site extremely helpful when I rebuild my 1952 HLV.

I did some further investigating. If I engage the power feed lever with the lathe off, the carriage wheel is locked as is the carriage.

It is the rack pinion gear pin. It appears a taper pin, like all the other pins on the lathe. Has anyone replaced standard dowel pin or roll pin?

I found some taper pins in another shop. All the stuff we squirrel away, but never have what we need.

A gunsmith? You'd be way ahead of Joe Average Machinist on this one.

Five minutes with a file and you have a "not QUITE right" one that AT LEAST will not do harm whilst the proper ones come in from MMC or whomever about the third day out.

I'm serious. Common wire nails cut like cheese, won't wallow-out anything with under a week's use. SO LONG AS.. they are tapered to a decent fit - not straight or spring-rolled so the forces are concentrated in the wrong places.

Just don't forget and fail to replace them "real SOON, NOW".

:)

Or take not a great deal longer and use drill-rod, permanent-like.

Found the correct size taper pins. Replaced and have reassembled carriage. Now the problem is getting everything adjusted again. The carriage gib is tight, that's an easy fix. The drive clutch appears to be too tight also, as it is an HLV-BK it doesn't HLV manual I downloaded. There is an exposed 1/2" nut and a setscrew next to it. Any ideas on adjustment procedure?

Got everything back together and found two bad bearings, got them replaced, but still having trouble getting the apron drive clutch adjusted. Any help out there? Is there supposed to be a fiber washer between the clutch plates? I found the remains of one in apron. Any good pictures or prints of assembly?

Did you get the feed clutches adjusted?....I've got one with a similar problem....I can't even find a manual?

Yes, I finally got it adjusted. Now have the lead screw out to make brackets to install a spring style screw guard. Dam safety here is convinced that all uncovered lead screws are dangerous. I tried to demonstrate that the lead screw only turns during threading, and both hands are out of the path while threading as one is on compound lever and other is on thread feed lever. In that position, no body parts are capable of getting into the lead screw. They don't want to hear that.

Back