What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV carriage lock repair?

spontarelliam

Plastic
Ever since I've had this lathe, the carriage lock hasn't worked. I finally decided to attempt a repair, following along the maintenance manual, starting at page 1-10 (Carriage lock). I've got the apron cover off, but now I'm stuck on step 17. I don't see any two piece lock bolt. I'm not sure how it could be completely missing, but maybe that explains why the thing doesn't work. I'm having a hard time seeing from Figure 1.27 what this lock bolt is supposed to look like and where exactly it's supposed to go, and how it affects the carriage lock lever.

Here's a photo of where I'm at. I'd appreciate any guidance on how to move forward and where I can find a replacement two piece lock bolt. I'd also appreciate if you could point in this picture to where the lock bolt is supposed to be.

20200318_133659.jpg

Thanks!

Does the handle rotate to a stop or does it appear to do nothing at all as it is turned?

If it comes to a stop , that would suggest that the cam is pressing against the lock 'bolt' and that the lock bolt is seized into the apron

I've search my pictures but don't have a photo of the bolt:, from memory , I pushed it out from the gib side when I had the carriage off.

You might be able to work if free by sliding the gib out half way (don't remove it completely because you may not be able to push the lock out of the way without it) , tapping the bolt in and pushing out with the gib until it is free.

Bill

This scan from my HLV-H maintenance manual (M-10B) should make it clear. What is referred to as the two piece lock bolt (being held in fig 131) are two short "plugs". One has a bevel to match the angle of the gib. The eccentric on the shaft of the carriage lock handle bears against these lock "bolts" to press on the gib.

HLV-H carriage lock.jpg

I finally got back in there and found that the spacer plug was on the wrong side of the carriage lock shaft. In other words, the angled plug was in the correct position, between the shaft and the lathe, while the spacer plug was between the shaft and myself. How it got like this, I don't know. But I lifted the lock shaft out, pushed the spacer plug in as far as it would go, and after much convincing, got the carriage lock shaft back in place.

All is working now, thanks for the help!

Back