What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV Control Panel upgrade

marcsO

Hot Rolled
I'm one of those who spends more time messing about with a lathe than actually making stuff, my excuse is I'm not retired yet so doing mods is easier than setting up to make stuff - it will change this year when I retire and looking forward to some projects that are in my head.

This is my first 'real' lathe and its in decent condition, this forum has helped me with an issue on the electrics side which is now all good so thank you, this post is just to show the control panel I have made to give the HLV some 'H' factor :)

In essence I have added all the main controls including coolant and machine light functions to a single panel which I have made to be mounted on the main door, a small electronic spindle speed indicator (LED) is mounted in the old carriage electronics box so I can see the actual speed at any given time. The main motor speed controller is via a VFD which controls a new 3hp 3ph motor, importantly the original hand cranked speed adjuster is still functional so I can mix and match to get best speed/torque for a given job.

Had a steel panel box made to my dimensions from 2mm mild steel, had a friend mill out rebates for the switch panels so they sat in recesses to help overall look. The buttons and switch gear are from BACO and the two POTS are Siemens units as the BACO ones did not look right. Panel painted in a chassis black with clear fuel/oil proof clear varnish all from cans.

If anyone wants more info etc happy to help but for now its a few pics of the panel ready to go in and be wired up to the main VFD's and various supplies.

IMG_3081.jpgIMG_3086.jpgIMG_3088.jpg

I'm also after some good quality pics of the two round badges on the knobs to select threading and feed plus the one on the lathe bed along with some dimensions so I can check my end that would be great as planning to make replacements for my lathe as the items in question are badly worn.

Interesting. Having the carriage control along with the other controls is a nice idea. One suggestion: I can't tell from the photos how the user can determine if right/out is selected, or left/in is selected. All I know is whatever postion the switch on my HLVH is set at, it's the wrong one and always needs to be changed before the feed's engaged.

Possibly have the left and right knobs be lit to show which one is active?

Just a thing I discovered. The stock thread/feed knob has two arrows on it. One for feed and one for threading.
The knob plate for the HLV and HLV-H will fit but the directions for feed and treading are reversed.

If anyone has good dial labels can they post pictures of please along if possible with dimensions so I can check things out before making the replacements?

Thank you Marc

Back