What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV cross-slide and compound. Narrow bed?

rpseguin

Stainless
I have this Hardinge HLV cross-slide with compound with the quick acting lever that I would like to identify so I can sell it appropriately.
I think it is for the narrow bed, but want to make sure.

The cross-slide is 4” wide and about 15” long.

b7af59ccd3b6c49c68c600d4a63b9684.jpg

The compound cam locking pin works fine.
The quick retract lever works fine, but the compound needs a handle and dials.

The angle graduations/markings are in good condition.

The compound has the gibs and slides smoothly.
The cross-slide has a gib as well.
3f1034094551ff3ebc1a90e8c8404dd5.jpg

The compound is definitely from a TL lathe and I'm fairly confident that the cross slide is also. The measurements you provided match my TL. The cross slide on my HLV is 15 7/8" long. I have a few parts for the TL compound and cross slide should someone need them.

TLs were made from lathe 1939 until 1949 when superseded by the HLV. TLs are variously referred to by TL, T-10, TL-10 and T-5 but all are minor variants of the base TL model.
Jim

The compound is definitely from a TL lathe and I'm fairly confident that the cross slide is also. The measurements you provided match my TL. The cross slide on my HLV is 15 7/8" long. I have a few parts for the TL compound and cross slide should someone need them.

TLs were made from lathe 1939 until 1949 when superseded by the HLV. TLs are variously referred to by TL, T-10, TL-10 and T-5 but all are minor variants of the base TL model.
Jim

Thanks!
I’m hoping to sell/trade it.
Gotta pay some credit cards and saving pennies to buy a DC spindle drive for a 15HP DC spindle motor.

While there usually looking for HLV model cross and top slides, there's also a market for something like this since some are building there own versions of what are called Rose Engine Lathes used for Ornamental Turning. So don't rule out listing it in a wood working or wood lathe area if there is one and add the words for Ornamental Turning. Then again most woodworkers don't understand the real costs and value plus there pretty "thrifty". It could still up your chances of getting a sale though.

While there usually looking for HLV model cross and top slides, there's also a market for something like this since some are building there own versions of what are called Rose Engine Lathes used for Ornamental Turning. So don't rule out listing it in a wood working or wood lathe area if there is one and add the words for Ornamental Turning. Then again most woodworkers don't understand the real costs and value plus there pretty "thrifty". It could still up your chances of getting a sale though.

Thanks!
Not the end of the world if there’s not much interest or value in it. I figure it would be nice to get it in someone’s hands who has a use for it.
I am going through my garage and going to sell off things to make space.

Back