What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV feed motor

Peter Colman

Stainless
Like many other HLV owners I have had trouble with the DC feed motor on the apron.
My machine was UK built and the motor made by a long defunct supplier, when the lathe was rebuilt and rewired the motor com segments were cleaned out, it ran ok for several years but one day it died in a cloud of blue smoke.My rewinder could not help either with repair or replacement as the shaft end of the motor and it’s bearing run in a special casting.
I tried replacing it with a 1/3 hp 3 phase motor and VFD, this was ok but there was not enough torque particularly at low speed.
I have now gone for a 12 volt 150 Watt permanent magnet motor, these are fitted to electric bicycles and the like, I had to make up an adapter ring and sliding connector so I could use the front bearing of the old motor and the housing.
The motor and it’s speed controller came from eBay for a combined cost of under 30
GBP much the same in USD. The free running speed of the motor is 2000 rpm so a bit fast, hence the controller.
I have been using a 12 volt car battery for my trials but need a proper power supply, this will be the most expensive part of the project.
It is great to have the feed going properly again

Back