What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-G 440V to 230

Lorenolson888

Plastic
Hi all I’m attempting to convert a 57’ HLVG from 440V to 230v. I’ve got a Donor 78’ HC that is being scrapped out that I just pulled the motor and will pull the entire electrical box off. My 57 seems to have been a 220V machine initially and was upgraded or changed to 440V maybe a custom or done later. The original schematic from the HLVG has 440 written In pencil on the backside with someone’s signature on it. In Black ink someone wrote 480V on the electrical door. It has an acme 460-115 step down transformer for the controls. I plan to change the the motor to the 230V Unit and move the red colored multi tap transformer from the donor to step from 240V to 115V for the controls.

My question: will this work and is there anything else I need to change such as the speed control and feed motors. Seems
Like those were mostly low output DV motors and most that runs off the 110 parts.

Also does anyone need something from the HC Chucker?

Last edited:
I found an answer that should work.

This transformer has a 2ndary of 480y/277

The motor is a 440V.

Figure I am getting. 230-235v out the wall.

So I should get 460-470 theu the phase generator and step up transformer combined.

The 2kva dive should be perfect 1.5hp is 1.89 kVa.

C3F002KDS
Hammond Power Solutions General Purpose Transformers, HPS Fortress Series

https://www.galco.com/buy/Hammond-Power-Solutions/C3F002KDS

Or

ACME T2A533281S

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/power_products_(electrical)/transformers/3-phase_encapsulated_core_transformers_(nema_rated)/480_vac_primary_to_240-z-120_vac_(center_tap)_secondary/t2a533281s?gclid=CjwKCAjwq_D7BRADEiwAVMDdHiEdTXZBgeKS-D7X7dixUJivT95vpAvnhCC17q-NQwUHEeZlhpsDnRoCnqEQAvD_BwE

Hi all I’m attempting to convert a 57’ HLVG from 440V to 230v. I’ve got a Donor 78’ HC that is being scrapped out that I just pulled the motor and will pull the entire electrical box off. My 57 seems to have been a 220V machine initially and was upgraded or changed to 440V maybe a custom or done later. The original schematic from the HLVG has 440 written In pencil on the backside with someone’s signature on it. In Black ink someone wrote 480V on the electrical door. It has an acme 460-115 step down transformer for the controls. I plan to change the the motor to the 230V Unit and move the red colored multi tap transformer from the donor to step from 240V to 115V for the controls.

My question: will this work and is there anything else I need to change such as the speed control and feed motors. Seems
Like those were mostly low output DV motors and most that runs off the 110 parts.

Also does anyone need something from the HC Chucker?

Last edited:
I do not know if I have ever seen in a HC control box. I seem to remember a 115 volt transformer inside my HLV-H box. Your feed motor is probably 110 volts DC, the same as the 220 volt version. So that transformer reduces the 220 or 440 to 110 for the feed. Do not forget the vari-drive motor it is probably 440 3 phase also. Same with the oil pump motor.

Back