What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV and -H Banjo Bolts, Nuts, Bushings

Jonathan Smith

Plastic
Does anyone have sketches, drawings or dimensions on the nut, bushing and bolt that hold change gears to the banjo slot. This would be the standard banjo that works with the english thread sets.

There are actually 2 steps in the slot. The nut slot is about .785" wide so the nut is probably .750" dia. The opening on the front is about .394" wide so the bolt shank is probably .500" and the threaded end is probably 3/8". The intermediate slot is about .495" wide. What is this for? Does the nut have milled shoulders that fit here to keep it from spinning.

Pictures, sketches, dimensions for these 3 parts would be greatly appreciated.

Banjo.jpg

Usually, the banjos have the gears and attaching parts to cut 10 TPI threads still present, so I cannot recall seeing any of the attaching parts by themselves. I think I have two or three of the complete 10 TPI assemblies on hand for sale. I do have a few pictures that may help explain your missing parts. The nuts are made from round bar with two flats that fit in the T-slot of the banjo. The bolts have very thin hex heads. One bushing has two gears and the other has one gear.

Larry

Hardinge change gears 2.JPG Hardinge change gears 3.JPG Hardinge change gears 4.JPG Hardinge change gears 5.JPG Hardinge change gears 1.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Larry,

I only have the bare bracket and bought some change gears from Linn Gear here in Oregon. Thanks for confirming the nut flats.

I am wondering if the bolt shank is 1/2" dia and shoulders up on the banjo's 3/8" wide slot. It doesn't seem like a lot of surface but maybe the bushing flange adds some support. If that's right, is the bolt shaft length the width of 2 gears plus the bushing flange plus .005"+/- clearance + the thickness of the spacer shown in your picture. I realize now there does have to be a spacer between 2 stacked gears or the meshing gear could rub. That picture helped.

Back