What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H Cross Slide Screws?

rpseguin

Stainless
Hardinge HLV-H Cross Slide Holes/Screws?

What are these 4 screws/threaded holes on the Hardinge HLV-H cross slide near the outside edge, surrounding the cross-slide nut slot and cover?

IMG_0982.jpg

3 of mine have set screws in them and the 4th is empty, probably missing.

I've looked at the parts list, and from what I can tell, it is identified as diagram item 19, part # 0550604 on page 52 of PL-7A HLV-H Parts List

Hardinge-HLV-H-Cross-Slide-Screws.jpg

I couldn't discern anything from the maintenance manual either.

I'm wondering what function they serve. Are they are just there for accessory use? Hoping I could use them to attach some way covers.

Those four holes are to mount the rear tool holder on an HLV-H. I had those parts, but never used them and sold them in 2010. I do have a picture that shows the parts and the drawing that Hardinge supplied with the new base I bought. The four holes may need to be added by the owner, hence the drawing. The holes are not always used, so they are plugged with set screws to keep out chips.

Larry

HLV-H Rr Slide 1.jpg DSC00517.jpg

Last edited:
Makes sense they need to be attached to the carriage otherwise you could not face out on a shoulder on the end of a cut if it was attached to the cross slide.

On the big turret that replaces the compound does it use any of those cross slide holes or is it only held by the compound clamp cam?

Makes sense they need to be attached to the carriage otherwise you could not face out on a shoulder on the end of a cut if it was attached to the cross slide.

On the big turret that replaces the compound does it use any of those cross slide holes or is it only held by the compound clamp cam?

The four position turret tool holder is attached using just the cam bolt. It does have two screws that press against the side of the slide for adjustment and rigidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those four holes are to mount the rear tool holder on an HLV-H. I had those parts, but never used them and sold them in 2010. I do have a picture that shows the parts and the drawing that Hardinge supplied with the new base I bought. The four holes may need to be added by the owner, hence the drawing. The holes are not always used, so they are plugged with set screws to keep out chips.

Larry

View attachment 321124 View attachment 321125

Thanks!!
Any chance for a higher resolution picture of the drawing?
Pretty please!

Thanks!

The rear tool slide (and base) can be a pretty handy gadget. They come up for sale rarely on Ebay, "L3" and "L4" base and slide. The slide is also used with DV lathes. It gives an additional tool position, and particularly good for parting and grooving. So with a tool in the compound, rear-slide, tailstock, and a headstock-mounted cutoff slide--you have 4 active tool positions for simple repetitive tasks on a number of parts (I've mounted two tools on occasion on the rear slide, and used all 5 tools). Cheers
View attachment 321404

That’s cool!
As it turns out, mine came with the L3 and L4. I had no idea what they were until doing a bit of searching.
Your picture is the best I’ve seen of one mounted.

Back