What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H crossfeed clutch, one longer bolt

mellejonker

Aluminum
Hello ,
I have bought a Hardinge HLV-H "donor" lathe. The apron/carriage seems like it hardly saw any use, the spindles have very little play and the scrape signs are clearly visible. The headstock has bronze bearings with some kind of oil injection, it does not seem original hardinge, I will post some pics later.
However I decided to exchange the carriage with the one I have on my HLV-H.
After I did that and run some tests I noticed the crossfeed clutch was a bit 'sticky' it kept rotating a short period after I moved the lever down. I removed the clutch cap to re-adjust the nut but it did not help so I decided to unbolt the clutch assembly from the apron.
I noticed one of the four bolts, on the lower left side, was longer but I did not pay attention to that.
After inspecting i wanted to place back the clutch assembly but with he lower left bolt I did not find any thread anymore.
It seems there was something in the apron with thread which dissapeared?!
On my old carriage/apron i can remove and re-insert that longer bolt without a problem.

I hope somebody can clearify why that bolt is longer and/or whats it holding inside the apron.
I would like to avoid opening the apron but perhaps I have no choice.
Thanks for your help,
Melle
677fae4c617e8a2d31651b2034df32ba.jpg
54b436fe85e5f75033c0787b5c741f15.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Lenovo TB-8704X met Tapatalk

No clue on the bolt or cross slide set up. Interesting on the spindle bearing. I am sure that is not original. I am looking at a box with ball bearings purchased from Hardinge for an HC chucker and I am certain the same go in an HLV-H. That said it could be possible that someone could engineer and build a floating bronze bearing that is as good or better for light duty super, super precision.

Last edited:
You have what was once a super super precion lathe modified by Philips to make a very accurate part for cd drives I was told
A hydrodynamic drive A hydrodynamic bearing generates a oil film between shaft and bearing In this case oil is forced between shaft and spindle in such a way that it starts to rotate Very accurate but little power So only for small parts This is all from a college who has had several of these machines and used to work at Philips

Peter

Hello Peter,
Interesting information! I have seen one time before a simiair modified lathe, also in priscine condition. I think the headstock will finish on the scrapeyard though. I have no use for it....
The bed is also in very good condition, i am thinking to replace the bedplate on my lathe with this one but I am not sure how difficult that would be, seems like only half of the bolts is accessable from the outside.

This evening I opened the apron and found out the issue with the long bolt. Part N is kept in place by a bolt accesable from the outside of the apron. That bolt was loose and part N hanged down. The second hole in part N is threaded for the longer bolt in the clutch housing.

So fixing part N in the correct orientation solved my issue.
Regards,
Melle
d42c8855fc4ed8a05bb7d6853c585bbc.jpg

Hi Peter,
I might indeed swap the whole bed. The thing is that the headstock rest on the bed,not the bedplate. I guess the headstock and bed thus have been scraped to match each other. When swapping the whole bed with bedplate i might loose that match, but we will never know unless I try it :)
Regards,
Melle

Back