What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H with dual dials but not EM??

thanvg

Hot Rolled
Dear all Hardinge fans, please assist on this:

I've been offered a Hardinge HLV-H lathe by an old guy, who insists that:
1. He changed from inch to metric by moving a small window on the dials, they read both inch and metric. This, to me, is dual-dials for sure.
2. He had to use external gears in order to cut metric threads, usual metric threads (normally covered by the EM range). This, to me, seems like imperial gearbox and taking the external gears/banjo path for metric threading.

So, here I ask: Could it be that the machine has dual dials and is NOT EM?? Based on wisdom (from this forum or course) and extensive search on google I knew that dual-dials came only on EM machines (though some later EM machines did not have dual dials, post DRO era). Can you confirm this?

As you can assume, I cannot extract more information from the seller at this point, nor can I get him to provide images. I can see it in flesh only after 1.5 month from now, so, in the meantime, I am stuck with searching and investigating. I am confident that indeed the machine has dual-dials (actually I have confirmation that carriage, cross slide, top slide and tailstock have dual dials) but can't retrieve extra information on the gearbox, not even the number of round knobs....

So, please share your thoughts on the the dual-dials/EM issue....

Thanks in advance.

BR,
Thanos

The EM machines have a dual imperial/metric gearbox. Dual imperial/metric dials were available on any of the machines. My 1952 HLV(no -H) also has dual dials with an imperial only gearbox. I use the larger banjo and changewheels when cutting metric threads.

The EM machines have a dual imperial/metric gearbox. Dual imperial/metric dials were available on any of the machines. My 1952 HLV(no -H) also has dual dials with an imperial only gearbox. I use the larger banjo and changewheels when cutting metric threads.

Exactly to the point, many thanks!

Back