What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H Lathe Motor

legallowayjr

Plastic
I have a customer with a Hardinge HLV-H lathe who wants a magnetic motor starter added for anti-restart purposes. They are powering it with 208vac. They say thats its a 1.5 HP motor but cannot determine the amperage of the motor. Anyone have any information on the motors in these lathes?

It should not be neccessary, The push buttons on the original control are momentary contact, The contactors hold on while power is there, but drop out with no power and will not reclose without the buttons being pressed.

I think all HLV-H lathes have magnetic starters from the factory. The OEM motors are two-speed, so they have two different current ratings depending on the motor speed. Overload protection is built into the lathe controls, so an external starter only needs to have more capacity than the total maximum rating for the lathe, which is more than the main motor rating because of the additional electric features.

Larry

What they said.

If you really need an amp reading because you are replacing an missing electrical box or something really strange and you live near San Antonio send me a Private Message and you can bring your Amp Probe over and check mine under load and when starting.

One way around the re-start issue is to require more than operation to get the contactor in the power box to re-close. Putting a couple of latching, NC epo buttons in series with the hold-in coil does this. It requires clearing the button (twist) *and* hitting the start button to bring the power back on. One button alongside the speed control panel, and one by the tailstock end of the chip pan, as an example. It's low voltage control wiring - plastic corrugated flex conduit.

Back