What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H lathe thread stop

stmboatbruce

Aluminum
I read that the HLV-H Hardinge lathe has a built in automatic thread stop that avoids overrunning on the end of the threads. This would REALLY be handy. Does anyone know how it works? The more I read on the Hardinge lathe the more I am impressed. I need to trade up.

I read that the HLV-H Hardinge lathe has a built in automatic thread stop that avoids overrunning on the end of the threads. This would REALLY be handy. Does anyone know how it works? The more I read on the Hardinge lathe the more I am impressed. I need to trade up.

Hi read this link if you haven't already and be even more impressed

http://www.lathes.co.uk/hardinge/index.html

The machine can be set to automatically disengage the screwcutting at any pre-determined point - and the lathe will drop out flawlessly and accurately every time. Whilst this is happening the leadscrew and clasp nut stay engaged (there is no need to use a Thread Dial Indicator) and all the operator has to do is to return the tool to its start point, apply more cut, and engage the drive. Not only does this does work with all pitches of thread and at modest speeds, but also at high r.p.m. - and returning to an "ordinary" lathe after experiencing secure 500 rpm screwcutting on an HLV is always going to be a disappointment.

Kevin

It has a stop yes, but all it really does is kick the threading clutch out, it doesn't actually retract the tool from the thread. So you need a releif groove at the end of the thread. A lot of times you don't want that relief in which case the threading stop isn't really useful. In fact every time I've threaded with a relief groove I had no problem backing the tool out manually as I came into the relief. So again the stop isn't really all that useful.

Alan

It has a stop yes, but all it really does is kick the threading clutch out, it doesn't actually retract the tool from the thread. So you need a releif groove at the end of the thread. A lot of times you don't want that relief in which case the threading stop isn't really useful. In fact every time I've threaded with a relief groove I had no problem backing the tool out manually as I came into the relief. So again the stop isn't really all that useful.

Alan

It still adds a lot of security knowing you wont destroy your tool if you get distracted as the tool reaches the end of its travel. I find it very beneficial

It's also a lot faster. Once you get the sequence down using the quick release lever on the compound, the repetition cycle is quite rapid. I can complete a thread in a fourth of the time I used to need on my South Bend using the thread dial and all. I haven't run into any situations where the relief groove was a problem, but perhaps I've just been fortunate.

- Mike

The HLVH is an extremely simple lathe to use. The thread stop is a rod that runs lengthwise through the carriage. There are collars on the rod,which you set exactly where you want the carriage to stop. When the carriage moves toward the collar,the collar pushes the threading feed handle till it goes vertical into neutral. The carriage stops in exactly the same place each time within close tolerances. I have used it for such things as internal threading of round ivory box lids,where a small collision of the threading tool with the ivory would result in shattering the lid. Works great,and very simple.

Threading on an HLV-H is a lovely experience. The automatic feed stop and the built in manual tool retraction lever on the compound allows you to get into a nice rhythm while threading... very fast and efficient. I've threaded on four lathes in my lifetime and the HLV-H has been the best of those four.

Note that the caveat to the Hardinge system is that it only works for threads of the same pitch or finer than the (8 tpi) leadscrew. It does, however work for imperial, metric and irrational threads.

The HLVH is an extremely simple lathe to use. The thread stop is a rod that runs lengthwise through the carriage. There are collars on the rod,which you set exactly where you want the carriage to stop. When the carriage moves toward the collar,the collar pushes the threading feed handle till it goes vertical into neutral. The carriage stops in exactly the same place each time within close tolerances. I have used it for such things as internal threading of round ivory box lids,where a small collision of the threading tool with the ivory would result in shattering the lid. Works great,and very simple.

I know how to single point an external thread to a shoulder on a HLV but I need to turn a internal thread to a shoulder.
I’m not sure where to start. I’m confident I can set the carriage threading stop. Using the compound tool retract feature, do I set- up the threading tool upside down and run the spindle backwards feeding in or do feed out....?
The internal thread is 7/16-18 1” long in brass material.
Using a Thread die won’t hold concentricity Im looking for.

I looked in my owners manual and in bold letters it says "Do not run the spindle in reverse when threading". Also in bold type further down is "Maximum recommended threading speed is 1000 RPMs". I did one thread running the spindle reverse before I got the manual, I did not break anything but I will not do that again.

It works good if there is a channel at the end of the thread that is lower than the tool bit. Otherwise a groove will cut into the work.
If you use the compound retract lever in conjunction with the threading direction lever you can go right up to a shoulder and get good results.
Get the book by Karl Hans Moltrecht, Machine Shop Practice Volume 1. He uses the Hardinge HLV-H lathe with pictures for explaining about
threading. I refer to it whenever I need a refresher course.

While I’ve never used a lathe other then a HLV-H, in the 2 plus years I have owned mine I have used it to cut a lot of threads. Between the disengagement feature and the retractable compound, it easy to threaded to within a few thousands of the shoulder internal or external. Not needing to cut a relief groove is a big advantage.

Back