What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H Leaking or Over-heated Transformer help

racingjason

Plastic
Hello again, I am in the midst of purchasing an HLV-H. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the transformer in the upper right hand side of the cabinet appears to have leaked or melted at some point. I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on what could have caused it? I have read a few posts about the coolant pumps causing issues. This particular lathe no longer has a pump and has a few taped off wires in the cabinet that may be from that as well (speculation). I am wondering if the lathe will still be functional in this state or if the transformer is required for other lathe operations (or are they handled by the other transformer in the lower left)?

Thanks,
Jason

P.S. Sorry about the sideways photos. I have rotated and saved them several times but when uploaded they revert back. I have to do some more looking into the upload options.

Attachments

• HLV-H Transformer A.jpg
    HLV-H Transformer A.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 216
  • HLV-H Transformer B.jpg
    HLV-H Transformer B.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 216
  • HLV-H Transformer C.jpg
    HLV-H Transformer C.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 271
Last edited by a moderator:
The transformer should be the least of any concerns because it can be replaced easily.

It looks like contact cleaner was sprayed there. The "leaking" is above the transformer. So if it came from the transformer the law of gravity is not being obeyed. I would remove the transformer and fuse block from the panel but leave the wires connected. Wipe down the whole area with mineral spirits and re-install transformer and fuse block.

Check that the power feed is working and that the feed motor is not getting hot. The transformer on the right is powering that control (single phase 220 to 110). Probably has been run long enough to look like that. Doesn't mean it is totally kaput. Looking at my own box tonight I see that my transformer is new looking. I replaced it shortly after I bought the machine because somebody installed a lower power transformer that did not even mount correctly over the original tapped holes.

The transformer at the lower left is at higher voltage (440 to 220 or similar).

Hello all, I am resurrecting this old thread as I have not yet resolved this issue. I ended up dissembling the machine for a good clean up and a bit of paint and did not have a way to test the electrics (as I did not have three phase power). I now have an American Rotary ADX and I can get the spindle to rotate but the other power accessories (power feed, speed control, brake) do not operate. I was immediately suspicious of the transformer but I wanted to check to see if I was looking in the right direction. I did a cursory check of continuity of the fuses and tried taking some voltage measurements on the transformer but was not sure what I should be looking for. As car2 discussed above the pulley adjust motor is three phase but from the wiring diagram it seems that the controls are part of the transformer circuit. I can hear a relay 'click' when I try to increase the speed but no movement. The 'slower' button does not do anything however, it seems that it is at the limit of its travel so there may be a limit switch. Similarly, the coolant switch relay activates if 'on' or 'auto' is selected but since there is no pump nothing happens. Is my assumption that the transformer is faulty a reasonable one? Is there something else I should be looking at?

Thank you,
Jason

It looks to me like the transformer is not only severely overheated but also disconnected on the lower side. The taped up green and white wires may have been connected to it. It looks like you have all the information needed on the transformer label and in the schematic, but I can't read either well enough to tell. The transformer is a multi-voltage type, probably connectable for 220 or 440 volts on the primary and 110 or 220 volts on the secondary.

Try to post good readable photos of the transformer label, any labels on the connection points, and the part of the schematic that includes the transformer. That is a "control transformer" and is generally used to adapt the motor voltage to whatever the controls use. Sometimes that is 24-28 volts. Someone familiar with the machine would probably be better able to help you.

It looks to me like the transformer is not only severely overheated but also disconnected on the lower side. The taped up green and white wires may have been connected to it. It looks like you have all the information needed on the transformer label and in the schematic, but I can't read either well enough to tell. The transformer is a multi-voltage type, probably connectable for 220 or 440 volts on the primary and 110 or 220 volts on the secondary.

Try to post good readable photos of the transformer label, any labels on the connection points, and the part of the schematic that includes the transformer. That is a "control transformer" and is generally used to adapt the motor voltage to whatever the controls use. Sometimes that is 24-28 volts. Someone familiar with the machine would probably be better able to help you.

Thanks Don, I came to the same realization this morning when I was thinking about it and sure enough, when I checked, there were no connections on the secondary side of the transformer. The transformer is a 240/480 to 120/240 200VA unit. I was able to source a 250VA unit from the same manufacturer with the same specs today so I have some work to do. From what I have seen the original was a 250VA unit not 200VA. I will try to post a photo of the schematic next.

Back