What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H Metric threading setup issues - HELP please!

Jersey John

Stainless
Hi folk

Well I've owned HLV-H's for many years but NOW have a problem that I just can't get my head around! :mad5:

I've now a HLV-H Metric (Made by Hardinge UK) and it's the first time ever I've needed to cut an Imperial 1/4" UNC (16TPI)

For that option with a Banjo and gears shown on page 69 of the Operators Manual, it states:

16TPI / Knob 2 / 1st gear on stud 25T / 2nd gear on stud 40T / Screw gear 60 / Idler gears 2x 66T

Now there is NO WAY if I'm correct that the Banjo can take this setup ... I "Think" I've got the correct Banjo but I've tried my other one too and this does not work either.

I can get near to the setup if I produce a "special" bolt to hold the 25T/40T as the standard on is too short and I'm not aware of needing a "Special" longer bolt"

hardinge-m2i-01.jpg
hardinge-m2i-02.jpg
hardinge-m2i-03.jpg
hardinge-m2i-04.jpg
hardinge-m2i-05.jpg

CLEARLY I've done something wrong but WHAT???

Many thanks in anticipation

John

Just waking up here, no coffee yet. But perhaps you can try running smaller idler gears? It seems odd that they would call for such big gears for the idler.

"I've now a HLV-H Metric (Made by Hardinge UK) and it's the first time ever I've needed to cut an Imperial 1/4" UNC (16TPI)"

I don't have that sort of lathe, but I do know that 1/4 UNC has 20 TPI, not 16. It is 3/8 UNC that has 16 TPI.

I don't know if that helps, but I want to be sure you are trying to set up the correct pitch.

Larry

Swap the location of the 60T idlers and the 25/40T pair. That should allow it all to work. (I think).

I have enough problems due to the fact that I've got a mixture of 22DP (Hardinge) and 20DP (Myford) change wheels!

Just waking up here, no coffee yet. But perhaps you can try running smaller idler gears? It seems odd that they would call for such big gears for the idler.

I did think about smaller iderlers but surely that would affect the overall speed???

... and the question still remains why would Hardinge publish gear combinations that don't work on their accessories??

"I've now a HLV-H Metric (Made by Hardinge UK) and it's the first time ever I've needed to cut an Imperial 1/4" UNC (16TPI)"

I don't have that sort of lathe, but I do know that 1/4 UNC has 20 TPI, not 16. It is 3/8 UNC that has 16 TPI.

I don't know if that helps, but I want to be sure you are trying to set up the correct pitch.

Larry

Well that certainly is one STUPID mistake Larry ... Doh!

I am wanting to cut 1/4" UNC so for that the second gear on the stud goes up by 10 so now its a 50T

While writing, looking at image 2 and 5 ... The manual states using the Metric attachment - which is which? (I got both with the machine)

Many thanks

John :typing::cheers:

While writing do you have a Metric or Imperial HLV-H?

Neither, I've got a 1952 HLV (no -H), Imperial+Metric dials, Imperial leadscrew+box and a metric change wheel banjo. :D

As for using different sized idlers, it doesn't matter. 60/60 is the same as 38/38 etc.

The Hardnge numbers should work. I haven't got the manual/diagram for the metric lathes, but for the Imperial lathes there were two diagrams showing different layouts. Have you got the book of words?

The Hardnge numbers should work. I haven't got the manual/diagram for the metric lathes, but for the Imperial lathes there were two diagrams showing different layouts. Have you got the book of words?

Hi Mark, I'm sure we've both got the same manual (Imperial) ... and it just offers two pages to a Metric lathe gearbox setup for imperial threads (P69/70).

If I could have got away with a die I would LOL

John :cheers:

...While writing, looking at image 2 and 5 ... The manual states using the Metric attachment - which is which? (I got both with the machine)

Many thanks

On a common USA HLV-H with inch gearbox and 10 TPI lead screw, the standard gear bracket for cutting inch threads not in the box is the smaller (one slot) and the metric bracket is the larger (two slots). So I suppose you need the one with two slots to mount the 127 tooth conversion gear to cut inch threads on a metric machine.

Larry

On a common USA HLV-H with inch gearbox and 10 TPI lead screw, the standard gear bracket for cutting inch threads not in the box is the smaller (one slot) and the metric bracket is the larger (two slots). So I suppose you need the one with two slots to mount the 127 tooth conversion gear to cut inch threads on a metric machine.

Larry

Thanks for that Larry ... that's another bit sorted out ;)

All the best

John :cheers:

I've setup a similar imperial thread on one of the metric lathes at work . I couldn't for the life of me remember how , but Larry's reminded me that you need the thicker metric banjo in order for the gears to run past each other and the shafts.

Hi Bill - Thanks very much for your input, appreciated as always.

I'm away for a few days but I'll try a new setup when I get back ... hopefully I'll get it right.

Back