What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV-H Power Feed

GeorgiaDoc

Plastic
I have a Hardinge HLV-H, On the Carriage power feed, only at low speeds it has difficulty engaging. At higher speeds it works fine. I can assist it to start moving and once it engages it works fine. I am thinking it may be a clutch issue and not sure if there is an adjustment or if its a replacement issue. Or something else entirely. Any help is appreciated.

Lets do a little trouble shooting before we adjust the clutch. Does it not feed at slow speeds in both the carriage and cross feeds? If so my first guess would be electrical since both adjustments needed at the same time seems too much.
If it is just one of the feeds then probably the adjustment. In my 20+ years experience with mine I have never adjusted one. The adjusting nuts will be under the cap by the appropriate handle.
Look at the instructions on the PDF here in post #4:
Leaking ATF from carriage on a HLV-H.

I have a Hardinge HLV-H, On the Carriage power feed, only at low speeds it has difficulty engaging. At higher speeds it works fine.

A picture of the outside and inside of the feed box?

Low and high speeds corresponds with Low/High switch, or with carriage feed knob?

Like the instructions says, you can adjust the nut under the black cover, until the lever is at 10 to 20 degrees above horizontal for full engagement; don't adjust any further, as there is no gain to achieve then. Refer to fig. 1.25 on the link given by Fred above.

Sorry, I was out all day yesterday and was not able to test things out until this morning. The Crossfeed works flawlessly even at very low speeds, in both directions. The problem is when I use the power feed at the control knob, and only with the carriage at low speeds. And it is intermittent, sometimes it works fine others it needs help to engage then once its moving its fine. At faster speeds its ok. And its in both directions although left to right seems less so. There are no obstructions, carriage not locked or partially locked, and moves easily manually with the hand wheel. And the gearbox has the appropriate listed oil based on Hardinge Maintenance manual.

Thx to all who have replied and are helping out!

The easiest thing to do is to open the cover and clean the rheostat wiring. Just don't use a solvent that can eat away at enamel wire.
A little WD-40 (did I type that ...) followed by some electrical contact cleaner. See what color the liquid is when it is evaporating on the newspaper below.
If it is black then you have at least cleaned the part.

Maybe look for charred parts on the control board. Corrosion? You might have the front cover on with even a gasket.
But the wiring inlet hole in the back side of the box is not air tight.
What I did myself was to go in there and clean up some of the soldering and wiring and make everything clean again.

Last edited:
If the cross feed is working ok but the carriage feed is slipping at low speed then it's extremely likely to be the controller or the motor unless the motor is actually stalling when the carriage feed isn't working...

Adjust the carriage feed clutch.

Back