Hardinge HLV-H spindle markings? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use Kluber NCA15 Spindle bearing grease.
    It comes in a small tube, 50 grams I think,
    easy to keep the unused grease clean, and enough to last for many bearing sets.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks again all. A couple of updates on the build and some great insight into the spindle bearing markings from a more that reputable source. I also purchased a tube of the Kluber Spindle grease per the board members suggestions. I have posted the email response regarding the spindle bearing info below for anyone else who may have to cross this bridge on their rebuild. I cant really explain what some of the answers mean but here they are.

Enjoy and Regards,
    //Chip

My questions are in regular TEXT the answer is in BOLD

1.) When Hardinge reconditions a spindle the bearings are sorted and sized to match bores and journals. Spindle nose and collet seats are ground after spindle is run-in.

2.) Upon disassembly I noticed markings on the spindle, Spindle bearing spacer, and the front bearing recess of the headstock. I didn’t notice the orientation of the bearings to the numbers etched on the spindle when I removed the spindle and want to make sure Its assembled properly.
    • The Spindle shaft has a 9. (nine period) With a line above it at the end closest to the spindle nose where the work piece would be held. Indicates the ground diameter of the journals, measured to .00005”.
    • On the other end of the spindle in line with the 9. Is an 8. (8 period). Same as above.
    • On the front of the headstock where the bearing recess is as well as on the bearing spacer sleeve is the date installed and a 9-28 engraved and etched in it. The 9-28 is etched at about the 5 o’clock position in the headstock and at the 12 o’clock position there is what appears to be a 9.
    The 9 (6 actually) is the Honed size of the bore measured to .00005”
    • The bearings themselves appear to have a dot etched on the outer race and inner races in addition to the factory circle with a line through it to align the bearings with each other upon assembly because that is how they were ground as a matched pair. The dots indicate maximum run-out, placed opposite the max run-out of the shaft.

3. Likes Stradbash, Frigzy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just reading thru this post months later .... though I would add some photos to go with all that is here, hopefully helps someone down the road.

Link to Flicker with photos and some captions:
    HLV-H Spindle Bearing Operations | Flickr

Greg

5. Likes Billtodd, SpringGunner, Stradbash liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is great stuff sir, thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GCToolin View Post
    Just reading thru this post months later .... though I would add some photos to go with all that is here, hopefully helps someone down the road.

Link to Flicker with photos and some captions:
    HLV-H Spindle Bearing Operations | Flickr

Greg
    Thanks for posting this Greg! The photos of your spindle alignment element inside the headstock and your bearing press for the rear bearing are quite helpful and will be put to good use shortly when i replace the bearings in a DV-59.