Hardinge HLV-H spindle markings? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use Kluber NCA15 Spindle bearing grease.
    It comes in a small tube, 50 grams I think,
    easy to keep the unused grease clean, and enough to last for many bearing sets.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks again all. A couple of updates on the build and some great insight into the spindle bearing markings from a more that reputable source. I also purchased a tube of the Kluber Spindle grease per the board members suggestions. I have posted the email response regarding the spindle bearing info below for anyone else who may have to cross this bridge on their rebuild. I cant really explain what some of the answers mean but here they are.

Enjoy and Regards,
    //Chip

My questions are in regular TEXT the answer is in BOLD

1.) When Hardinge reconditions a spindle the bearings are sorted and sized to match bores and journals. Spindle nose and collet seats are ground after spindle is run-in.

2.) Upon disassembly I noticed markings on the spindle, Spindle bearing spacer, and the front bearing recess of the headstock. I didn’t notice the orientation of the bearings to the numbers etched on the spindle when I removed the spindle and want to make sure Its assembled properly.
    • The Spindle shaft has a 9. (nine period) With a line above it at the end closest to the spindle nose where the work piece would be held. Indicates the ground diameter of the journals, measured to .00005”.
    • On the other end of the spindle in line with the 9. Is an 8. (8 period). Same as above.
    • On the front of the headstock where the bearing recess is as well as on the bearing spacer sleeve is the date installed and a 9-28 engraved and etched in it. The 9-28 is etched at about the 5 o’clock position in the headstock and at the 12 o’clock position there is what appears to be a 9.
    The 9 (6 actually) is the Honed size of the bore measured to .00005”
    • The bearings themselves appear to have a dot etched on the outer race and inner races in addition to the factory circle with a line through it to align the bearings with each other upon assembly because that is how they were ground as a matched pair. The dots indicate maximum run-out, placed opposite the max run-out of the shaft.

3. Likes Stradbash, Frigzy liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just reading thru this post months later .... though I would add some photos to go with all that is here, hopefully helps someone down the road.

Link to Flicker with photos and some captions:
    HLV-H Spindle Bearing Operations | Flickr

Greg

5. Likes Billtodd, SpringGunner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is great stuff sir, thank you!